High heat after charging overnight - does this sound right? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

High heat after charging overnight - does this sound right?

Here's the setup
Plugged car into the charger last night at around 8pm with about 81 estimated miles on the car. Didn't remember the % of charge estimate. Planned to let it charge to 100%.
4:30am this morning, my wife says the fan for the car was running very loud and the car and the garage were hot.

Rest of the setup - outside airtemps were 72 degrees. I went into the garage about 15 minutes later and the fan was off, but the garage temps were in the 80s and the front of the car was hot. The car should have completed 100% charging 90 minutes prior, but I have a simple charger that doesn't tell me when charging concluded. I grabbed a digital, laser thermometer and measured temps at various points on the car. Front quarter panels were 110 degrees, top of the hood, front, middle was 115%. Opened the "frunk" and got interior temps of 135%.

To me this seems high for 7.6kw charge rate. The fan does run off and on during normal charging, but I don't recall the battery cooling to bring the exterior temperature that high. Unfortunately I can tell when the charging completed, so I don't know the timing of charging related to this thermal event. No other notifications on the car and the Remote App doesn't send me end of charge notices.

I took pictures of the temp readings and the locations that I'll share with the dealer. Since this is my first EV and I don't recall seeing similar behavior of the last 4 months, I thought I'd check on the experience of others if you've seen this on occasion.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM

My first thought is that this is part of the normal cycle to cool the battery. I believe the heat is being extracted by the air conditioner.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:34 PM

This happens on many EVs. It's getting the battery and battery coolant to the correct temperature, as well as cooling the inverter, or what JLR calls 'conditioning'. It could be heating, it could be cooling.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
This happens on many EVs. It's getting the battery and battery coolant to the correct temperature, as well as cooling the inverter, or what JLR calls 'conditioning'. It could be heating, it could be cooling.
Sure, I expect hot air from the cooling (back of the refrigerator or from the window AC unit). I'm wondering if the heat level that is being put out seems right when charging from an L2 Home Unit. It doesn't seem like it should not create that much heat. The fan has shut off and the quarter panels + the Frunk were pretty high and I haven't felt the residual heat to be that high before... but I've only had the EV since end of December and don't know if this level of heat happens occasionally, even with an L2 home charger.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM

I don't think the heat is from the actual charging as much as higher ambient combined with driving.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
I don't think the heat is from the actual charging as much as higher ambient combined with driving.
The higher ambient is only about 7 degrees warmer than the March temperatures overnight.
This also wasn't the heat at the end of the 20 minute drive in 90 degree weather. It was the heat at the end of charging and the car sitting in what was likely an 80 degree garage. I charge to 100% normally every Friday for longer trips on the weekend, and I haven't seen this much heat at the end of the charge, but.... the end of the charge normally completes about 2 or 3 hours before I get into the car. I'm just thrown a bit and now wished I had spent the extra $250 for a charger that reports history so that I know for certain when the charging stopped. It would help me experiment a bit if I could get notification. I'm probably being paranoid since I hadn't encountered that level of heat before - 135 degrees in the Frunk.

I'll try to work something up where I can control the conditions and check the temperature closer to the end of the charge cycle.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:57 AM

That behavior and those temperatures does seem awfully high! I'm virtually certain I've seen/heard nothing like that in the few weeks since I've had the car. But then I've been setting the charger (WiFi ChargePoint) to start at a time at night where the charge is completed around the time I plan to leave in the morning. Typically I've been letting the car run down to about 30-40% and then charging to full. I haven't noticed any unusual heat in the morning and typically I've timed it so that the charge has either just completed or isn't quite complete when I unplug it to go... so I think I would have noticed if it was unusually warm.

Out of curiosity I'll try a daytime charge in the next few days and use my IR thermometer to see how it behaves and give you back a report.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I checked last night when car reached 88% state of charge. The fan was going through a cooling cycle and the heat was high around the front. So it looks like the push beyond 80% is creating more heat, higher than I expected.

I think Im going to start looking for a sale on Juicebox or ChargePoint so that I can get charge rate by interval and check the temperatures occasionally.

I need to get my car in for service soon and will bring up the temperature question. My current charger should stop if there are thermal problems, so Im not panicked, just surprised.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Here is the temp of the charge connector after charging up to 92%.
It is hard to read but contacts were 104.5 degrees F.
Cables were similar temperature running from the home ChargePoint in garage.
Don't have image, but the hood by the windshield wipers were warm also.
The power charging was the full 32 amp 7.4 kW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1556931567557_PART_1556931567425.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1673  

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so this is normal. Thanks for the thermal image.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page