Charging - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Charging

Is it ok to charge your car full every time I am charging? Some people say we should only charge at 90% capacity unless we are going on a long trip to have better battery life.
Is there a setting that allows to set a charging percentage? Like charge until 90 or 95%?
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs2780 View Post
Is it ok to charge your car full every time I am charging? Some people say we should only charge at 90% capacity unless we are going on a long trip to have better battery life.
Is there a setting that allows to set a charging percentage? Like charge until 90 or 95%?
JLR states there is no reason not to charge the car to 100%.
Jtdavi3 likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:48 AM

There are a couple of existing threads with this topic and information if you do a quick search. It would be good if some topics could be pinned as they are good reads and common information.
Jtdavi3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Hot subject for debate.
Full regen begins at 97%-90% depending on the battery temperature. See the thin green line on the power meter at 9-11 o'clock? That's your max regen. This will save on brake use.
I believe that JLR would not tell you it's OK to charge to 100% daily unless it was safe. They are ones who warranty the battery. But in very cold or very hot weather? I'd be gentler and try to avoid 100% for more than a brief time. ie - Drive it as soon as it it's full.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM

Yes 100% each time is fine and even preferred. Of course if you only drive 10 miles a day you can skip a few days between charges.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Info. We only charge 2 tob3 times a week so I think 100% would work. Thank you all.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
But in very cold or very hot weather? I'd be gentler and try to avoid 100% for more than a brief time. ie - Drive it as soon as it it's full.
A few months back, on one of theFB groups someone had posted a response from a JLR Engineer on battery management in which he stated there is no reason not to charge to 100%. He also stated that in cold weather (below freezing) that it would b best to leave the car plugged in when parked to prevent them from getting too cold. I don’t recall any statements in regards to high temps
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
A few months back, on one of theFB groups someone had posted a response from a JLR Engineer on battery management in which he stated there is no reason not to charge to 100%. He also stated that in cold weather (below freezing) that it would b best to leave the car plugged in when parked to prevent them from getting too cold. I dont recall any statements in regards to high temps
Thanks! I seldom visit FB. Perhaps I should consider it.
I haven't had the car yet on a hot day. 97F is the warmest it's been. I don't know yet if it will have reduced regen at high SOC + hot temperatures.

Not that it's related but it appears high temps are what impacted the Nissan Leaf battery life, since folk in hot areas had the most trouble. But the Leaf is air-cooled.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Hi All

I've read a number of articles about charging and if you charge to 100% every time you will get about 1000 cycles at full capacity. If you go from 20-30% to 80-to 90% you get 3000 cycles. Having a tesla in the past they recommended about 85% and if you would charge to 100% all the time a warning would come up not to.

There must be some type of counter in the I Pace that records the number of charges. Anyway with the temps climbing on the east coast I'm a little concerned about how hot the inside is going to get in the sun. Any comments you SOCAL guys?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
Hi All

I've read a number of articles about charging and if you charge to 100% every time you will get about 1000 cycles at full capacity. If you go from 20-30% to 80-to 90% you get 3000 cycles. Having a tesla in the past they recommended about 85% and if you would charge to 100% all the time a warning would come up not to.

There must be some type of counter in the I Pace that records the number of charges. Anyway with the temps climbing on the east coast I'm a little concerned about how hot the inside is going to get in the sun. Any comments you SOCAL guys?
The battery in the iPace is warrantied to 8 yrs/100K miles whether you charge to 100% or not. I suspect for Jaguar to put this warranty, they would put in the battery management software the coverage to prevent degredation from charging to 100%, else their lawyers and finance would be coming down hard on them for potential warranty liability claims. If they did not design and test it properly, then this would be a major problem later. In the electronics world, we design and test for life time expectancy with potential warranty coverage in scope. Point being, don't worry, charge, drive, and be happy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page