Some of you may be lucky already receiving software update over the air, others still waiting for it... So a bit of explanation below, how it works, and what needs to be done.
There are two ways, how your vehicle may get sent software update over the air for your Touch Pro system.
1. Dealer may initiate sending software to your vehicle
2. Jaguar will send new software as a periodic update to your vehicle (like Apple does with iPhones, Samsung with Android phones, or even your smart-TV producer)
According to Jaguar comms, there have been already successfully completed trials of this way of updating Touch Pro system. Following this, selected JLR (so also for Land Rovers and Range Rovers) customers in UK (as a first territory) received at the beginning of April, that software update for Touch Pro (and Touch Pro Duo) will be send soon to their vehicles. Some of them already received them.
Moreover, from the beginning or April, dealers can send the software update over the air. So rather than connecting dealer's laptop to your vehicle, they can trigger it from their TOPIX web-portal.
So some details, how it can be done. Below processes are only for the vehicles which are capable of getting software over the air, so basically those which got Connectivity Packet fitted, SIM card with available data package inserted (or vehicle connected to external WiFi hotspot), and vehicle is in the range of internet connectivity.
Dealer triggered software update over the air
JLR triggered Touch PRO software update over-the-air
- your vehicle would need to be added by JLR (either by global team, or by dealer) to the pool of vehicles eligible to get SOTA updates. Dealer can do it via TOPIX web-portal, after entering you VIN, clicking on SOTA toggle button:
- you need to:
- make sure you have internet connectivity in your vehicle (SIM card inserted with available data package, Mobile connectivity enabled)
- Software updates enabled in your vehicle (Settings->All settings>Software update > turned on / Enabled), you need to accept T&Cs.
- then you need to press Check for update to initiate first hand-shake with JLR server. If you would forget to do so, vehicle does hand-shakes every 24h to check new SW availability. After first hand-shake, it is quite rare that new SW is available - look at the next points.
- If there is new SW available for you, dealer will see it in the TOPIX. And if there is, he sent it to your vehicle by pressing 'Update'
- Now you can Check for Update again in your vehicle. The popup should appear saying, that new software is available for installation. You choose to install.
As I mentioned above, JLR will periodically send to eligible vehicles new Touch Pro software over the air.
Process is similar as above:
Touch Pro software download and installation process
- JLR will add your vehicle (if not already done before) to the pool of vehicles eligible to get SOTA updates.
- You would need to have enabled Software Updates
- Your vehicle is checking every 24h for new software (only if it is powered up; it it is locked, it wont check)
- You will get popup notification once new SW is available for your vehicle and you need to choose install
Download and installation of Touch Pro happens in the background and can be over multiple drives. You do not need to care about it. Once 'Install button' was hit, vehicle will do everything for you seamlessly. It can pause process once you lock vehicle, and resumes at the next start of the vehicle. Download and installation is paused once vehicle is locked - that is to protect from getting flatten your 12V battery (YES - you have got one in your I-Pace).
You can check status of the download or install in the software update page. There is no progress bar unfortunately...
Once installation is finished in one drive, at the subsequent drive new software are getting 'activated' to finish the whole process. You can see it as a status in software update page saying 'software installation will continue after vehicle shutdown'. In fact you need to shut down and lock
vehicle for 5 minutes, to trigger full re-boot of the Touch Pro.
At the next unlock, Touch Pro boots up from the new software, and software activation process starts. As part of the activation, Live app is downloaded and re-installed. You can spot it, as instead of side panel (the one with Weather, News, mini media player, etc), you have got Jaguar logo. Live app download and install duration depends on your mobile network connectivity. Progress of download and installation of Live you can see if you will enter into Live (from Extra features page, on the right from the HOME page) - you have got a progress bar there
Once Live is installed, you will get banner shown "Live apps updated"
In the meantime you can see also the banner, that New Software was installed successfully. From that moment, new software version is also visible in the Software Update page.
- Q: Will maps get updated as part of the update? A: No. You need to follow the process of downloading the map to the USB stick (min 32GB) from the web-site www.jaguar.here.com
- Q: Can I skip or defer for later the software update? A: Yes, if you will select 'remind me later', new popup reminder will appear no earlier than after 6 hours. If you will skip it, no popups will be shown, but you can manually Check for update.