Lots of I-Paces available - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Lots of I-Paces available

Jaguar Newport Beach website shows 112 new cars available as of today. Of these, 57 are I-Pace, and 55 are all other Jaguar models combined (E-Pace, F-Pace, F-Type, XE, XF, and XJ).
https://www.jaguarnewportbeach.com/n...+Newport+Beach

I find this .... interesting.

I'm pretty sure that I-Pace does not account for half of Jaguar Newport's sales volume, though I-Pace is more than half of this dealer's inventory. Seems they can't give these things away!

Or am I missing something?
post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 PM

That is really odd. I've never seen more than 2 of them there at a time, and I was last there in March.

Checking Cars dot com, new cars for sale: There are 11 Photon Red FEs in all of the USA, 58 total FEs. 970 total I-Paces for sale.

I have a hunch they are going to have a sale.
phil likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:07 AM

My only guess is they may be trying to put in the variety of trims, colors and options to avoid the ordering delay for buyers wanting special combinations.

But that seems like huge overkill for them. Could it be a JLR plan to provide a quick transfer to other SoCal dealerships?

They can't make much money if they just blow them out themselves close to cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM

From my experience, and that reported by others on this forum, the I-Pace margin at MSRP was only about $3000, so with these recent 'discounts' ($3k or more, and/or 0% financing subsidized by JLR), they ARE selling at cost (or below). Why is that so awful... Tesla lost money for more than a decade. The investment in converting from ICE to EV propulsion systems (and the associated software and systems to manage batteries, etc.) is just that, an INVESTMENT. If traditional manufacturers expect the same margin as ICE vehicles achieve on their EVs right out of the gate, they will overprice their EVs and lose market share. Does anyone else think JLR has made that mistake already? They appear to have undercut Audi and Mercedes (at the low end S trim), but here come Volvo, Hyundai, and others with comparable (functionally, but not in luxury) SUVs under $40k.
Calidave likes this.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I have nothing against Jaguar, but don't really care whether they make a profit. I'm just surprised that nobody seems to want to buy the I-Pace, as to me it seems like a really nice car. US sales seem to be holding steady at around 200 I-Paces per month, and it's just another data point that inventory is getting very high. People don't seem to be buying so many Teslas anymore, nor Chevy or Hyundai EVs either. I guess most everyone who wanted an electric car bought their Tesla last year, and EV sales growth may be slow-to-negative from here. Those of us who like the I-Pace and electric cars in general remain a pretty small minority.
Calidave likes this.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Just checked, the JaguarUSA website shows 1220 I-Paces available in the U.S.

Delivered 12/22/18
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

1220 is almost enough to cover all US I-Pace sales for the rest of 2019, at the current rate.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Yes, but don't forget they Model Year changeover occurs soon (in March for UK/Europe). New builds ordered today are likely to be MY20. This is setting up a "fire sale" situation for the MY19s pretty soon. It certainly doesn't look like JLR is going to be able to raise prices for 2020 models! I agree with @phil , above, I think the 12/31/18 deadline for $7500 rebates pulled forward a lot of Tesla demand, and now that nearly all other manufacturers have revealed and/or released their first EVs, adoption (and sales) of any one brand/model will likely underperform expectations as the EV market is still a small minority, constrained by lack of charging infrastructure, suboptimal charging speeds, and (to a lessening extent) range/lifestyle issues in general.
phil and Calidave like this.

Delivered 12/22/18
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 PM

Agree with much of the above. While in Cupertino, a guy taking pictures of the car asked me why we don't see more I-Pace's on the road. My first guess, mirroring the above, is that the current market for $70k+ EVs may be largely satisfied & undercut by Model 3 and other $40k+ entrants. I know Model S owners who are hanging on to them for a long long time. When asked how I liked it, I said "Major victory for EVs. Great car."
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Most in the media expect the I-Pace to be crowned "2019 World Car of the Year" at the opening of the New York Auto Show next Wednesday (up against the Audi e-tron and Volvo S60). Iconic Designer Ian Callum has already stated that winning "2019 European Car of the Year" with the I-Pace was his career "Oscar".... he (and JLR) might just take the proverbial Best Director and Best Motion Picture with that final WCOTY award. Truly remarkable for any car, let alone the first EV by a (relatively) smaller manufacturer.
epirali likes this.

Delivered 12/22/18

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page