After-market tinting and shade kit opinions... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

After-market tinting and shade kit opinions...

I've read about some people having tint added to the glass.

I'm curious how that has worked out for those who have, and what others think about the idea.

I'm in a routinely hot and sunny south Florida, and I'm wondering about additional heat shedding, especially as to the large roof glass. Of course, I'll want to keep within the lawful tint darkness, but I expect any reputable shop will advise me correctly.

I've done the preconditioning of the interior once so far, and it worked fine. But I'm not yet in the habit, and I'm more used to just getting in and driving off.

I'm also considering the custom shade kit offered by WeatherTech, which looks to be fully customized for fitting the I-Pace. Anyone using a shade screen for the windshield or all around? I assume there isn't anything for the top glass, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post

I'm curious how that has worked out for those who have, and what others think about the idea.

I'm in a routinely hot and sunny south Florida, and I'm wondering about additional heat shedding, especially as to the large roof glass. Of course, I'll want to keep within the lawful tint darkness, but I expect any reputable shop will advise me correctly.

I've done the preconditioning of the interior once so far, and it worked fine. But I'm not yet in the habit, and I'm more used to just getting in and driving off.

I'm also considering the custom shade kit offered by WeatherTech, which looks to be fully customized for fitting the I-Pace. Anyone using a shade screen for the windshield or all around? I assume there isn't anything for the top glass, but I don't know.

JLR makes a shade for both the windshield and the roof.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that lead. I'll check those out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
The Benefits Of Ceramic Window Film
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post

Thanks. This vendor has a 305 area code which is in Dade County just south of me, I notice.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks. This vendor has a 305 area code which is in Dade County just south of me, I notice.
Purely coincidence, but a bonus for you.

You can find accredited installers in your area at the IWFA web site here: https://iwfa.com/business-locator/fi...72=1&size672=6

My next car will get ceramic even on the windshield. I like smoked on the sides and back too but am not sure if ceramic can be smoked or if it's just clear (I imagine it can be smoked). I have a very old tinter friend up here but he retired 2 years ago so I can't just call and ask.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:

I'm in the Orlando area and have had the car since the end of December. Been in temperatures in the high 80's and just about 90 during some winter heat waves. I can tell you the glass roof has been great. I don't feel the heat. I too am considering after market tinting for the side windows as that is where I feel the heat coming in while driving. The sides don't seem to have strong eGlass. Then a simple sunshade for when the car is parked in the sun should keep things reasonable. I'll check out the posted recommendation as well. The main point is to focus on the sides and not worry about the glass roof.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Purely coincidence, but a bonus for you.

You can find accredited installers in your area at the IWFA web site here: https://iwfa.com/business-locator/fi...72=1&size672=6

My next car will get ceramic even on the windshield. I like smoked on the sides and back too but am not sure if ceramic can be smoked or if it's just clear (I imagine it can be smoked). I have a very old tinter friend up here but he retired 2 years ago so I can't just call and ask.

I've had ceramic tint (specifically, Huper Optik) installed on several cars over the past decade, eg, 911, Touareg, 650, Q7, and, most recently, on my 28 yo NSX . On the 911 I also had the windshield tinted to protect the leather dash, but I wouldn't generally tint the windshield b/c it results in a subtle moire pattern, even when I don't have polarizing lenses on. OTOH, IR blocking is very effective, even with clear tint. The product is relatively expensive, and there are only two or three certified Huper Optik installers in the LA area.

Our I-Pace is wifey's DD so it'll be up to her whether she wants to tint it. So far so good, but she's yet to drive on 100 deg day in sunny socal. LOL.

Spyder
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
......but I wouldn't generally tint the windshield b/c it results in a subtle moire pattern, even when I don't have polarizing lenses on......
Good point. I've seen that on previous cars out the side windows, but not on my current car and truck. I think I should remember to test that out on whatever film I choose for the next car before they apply it. It never bothered me on the sides, but out the windshield would be undesirable.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Good point. I've seen that on previous cars out the side windows, but not on my current car and truck. I think I should remember to test that out on whatever film I choose for the next car before they apply it. It never bothered me on the sides, but out the windshield would be undesirable.

Interesting. I've never scene the pattern on darker tinted side windows, only on the nearly clear-tinted windshield, and only after the film was applied.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page