5 Months of U.S. I-Pace Sales: just 745 Cars sold? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

5 Months of U.S. I-Pace Sales: just 745 Cars sold?

If you're struggling to spot another I-Pace around town, these figures tell the story. Based on this report, U.S. deliveries of the I-Pace are sluggish and slowing. Almost everyone familiar with the car blames poor marketing. I agree - have seen NOTHING promoting it. Perhaps winning 2019 World Car of the Year later this month will perk up sales? If the EQC range (as reported by EPA) comes in around the same as the e-Tron just announced (204 mi), that may help (a bit) too. When will JLR double down on its medalwinner and throw some marketing behind it?

https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 PM

I have seen a lot of marketing for the I-Pace on the web. Since most EV buyers tend to be affluent (even the cheap models) and tech savvy, the web is the natural resource for exploring the EV options available.

Nobody so far has done what JLR did to market EVs: Invite the press to test the cars everywhere, snow, desert, racetrack, autoX, off-road. They started an I-Pace Racing Series.
They certainly spent a lot of money on the marketing end for a low-production (under 100,000 units a year) car. They also offered AutoX testing to potential customers. AutoX violates the warranty on all models of Teslas, per written agreement.

The US market is not going to be large. The Model S/X and I-Pace are being hammered by the more affordable Model 3 and it's queue; many people are still waiting from 2016 for the $35k variant, which reduces EV sales in general. There's not a lot that can be done to steal sales from the Model 3 since they opened sales over 3 years ago.

I'm guessing there are about 8,000 I-Paces on the road at this point.

I like having a car that is not common and looks good. But Year One cars are always a struggle. The Model S sold under 10k units in the first 12 months of sales.
epirali, PGhiron, dtgsrq and 1 others like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Yeah, we might just have to get a second I-Pace.
Mister Dave and epirali like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:05 PM

Thing is that even as a tech AND car geek I can say that the marketing for the I-Pace hasn't been stellar. I know about it because it happens to tick all the boxes in my own personal "interest" checklist... but I do find that generally the I-Pace isn't all that well known unless you happen to be like me.

I am not an I-Pace owner, but I am known as one of the big car-guys in my professional and personal circles. That means that most of my colleagues and friends know that my lease is almost up on my ATS-V and as usual with these things many of them are curious what I'm going to drive next... because I tend to go with somewhat off-the-wall and unusual vehicles... high performance more often than not... and this time is unlikely to be any different. But when I mention the I-Pace as a contender for my next car the response is almost always "What is that?". Of course, I then happily pull up pictures of the car on my cellphone, but the normal run-of-the-mill person on the street has no clue what it is. Now, professionally I'm in the tech field (and I'm surrounded by salespeople, so they're also decently affluent) so you'd think that their interests would also intersect with this car; namely tech, roominess and so on. But no... none of them have ever heard of it either. They all know the F-Pace... and the XJ, XF and XE... but the I-Pace just isn't a thing to them.

I think the marketing HAS been pretty decent in the sense that they have made sure that people for whom very specific interest sets intersect they get relatively bombarded with information. Heck, I had to turn YouTube notifications about I-Pace off because I was getting sick of my phone telling me about a new post. But the thing is that the normal person-on-the-street doesn't seem to have enough intersection in interest to be properly marketed to.

I'll grant you it's not helped by Jag's image as a car for boomers and retirees. I'm solidly Gen-X (though my wife often refers to me as the world's oldest Millenial because I am more of a digital native than many people 10 years younger than me) and other than the F-Type most of my peers have zero interest in Jaguar as a whole. Even the XE is barely a blip on their radar.

Rambling a bit here... but while I think the adveritising has been good, its hasn't been phenomenal. In fact I'd say that there are a lot of markets they are failing to target properly.
dtgsrq likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 PM

I imagine some are giving it time to shake out the bugs. I always do. I never buy a year one anything. That takes more courage than I have at this price range, or any car's price range of those I've purchased.

I'm not saying that there are bugs, but this site sure does for those allegedly tech savvy buyers.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_Crayon View Post
Thing is that even as a tech AND car geek I can say that the marketing for the I-Pace hasn't been stellar. I know about it because it happens to tick all the boxes in my own personal "interest" checklist... but I do find that generally the I-Pace isn't all that well known unless you happen to be like me.

I am not an I-Pace owner, but I am known as one of the big car-guys in my professional and personal circles. That means that most of my colleagues and friends know that my lease is almost up on my ATS-V and as usual with these things many of them are curious what I'm going to drive next... because I tend to go with somewhat off-the-wall and unusual vehicles... high performance more often than not... and this time is unlikely to be any different. But when I mention the I-Pace as a contender for my next car the response is almost always "What is that?". Of course, I then happily pull up pictures of the car on my cellphone, but the normal run-of-the-mill person on the street has no clue what it is. Now, professionally I'm in the tech field (and I'm surrounded by salespeople, so they're also decently affluent) so you'd think that their interests would also intersect with this car; namely tech, roominess and so on. But no... none of them have ever heard of it either. They all know the F-Pace... and the XJ, XF and XE... but the I-Pace just isn't a thing to them.

I think the marketing HAS been pretty decent in the sense that they have made sure that people for whom very specific interest sets intersect they get relatively bombarded with information. Heck, I had to turn YouTube notifications about I-Pace off because I was getting sick of my phone telling me about a new post. But the thing is that the normal person-on-the-street doesn't seem to have enough intersection in interest to be properly marketed to.

I'll grant you it's not helped by Jag's image as a car for boomers and retirees. I'm solidly Gen-X (though my wife often refers to me as the world's oldest Millenial because I am more of a digital native than many people 10 years younger than me) and other than the F-Type most of my peers have zero interest in Jaguar as a whole. Even the XE is barely a blip on their radar.

Rambling a bit here... but while I think the adveritising has been good, its hasn't been phenomenal. In fact I'd say that there are a lot of markets they are failing to target properly.
As the ATS-V dies after about 150,000 units, it will largely go unmourned since very few people knew Cadillac made a small BMW/MB Killer or that the ATS existed. It's a great track car. The CTS-V can't outrun it on a tight course. The ATS-V makes the time in the corners, the CTS-V makes it down the straights, and the CTS is not a crap chassis. It's better than most of what comes out Germany costing 50% more $, it's just that the ATS chassis is even better.

Now... Why didn't Cadillac market the ATS more? Surely they could have spent $5-$10 million more to gain public awareness. Because no matter what Cadillac did for marketing, or how much better an ATS is, nobody buys an ATS for Fashion. People will buy a freakin' FWD Mercedes EconoBox (CLA?) just so the neighbors know. A German taxicab. Status! I've made my way to the top of the livery stable. I can start a discount car rental company in France!

In California, the fully loaded I-Pace is less money than the ATS-V after incentives, yet the I-Pace has some technologies they don't put in Cadillac V cars, like ACC, steering assist, AWD, air suspension, full winter and off-road systems.

And nobody except gearheads will know what either one is.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
And nobody except gearheads will know what either one is.
The trouble is being a gearhead may be becoming a lost art. Our culture needs to return to values we learned as kids. I was tearing down engines and doing valve jobs before I turned 17. It wasn't about how we looked - it was just plain fun, and sometimes necessary to keep the family car on the road.

Try to explain that to a liberal arts major. We didn't even know they existed back then. Our high schools need to return to vocational studies. Without the auto shop I wouldn't have had the resources to keep Mom's car running.

And this was a "progressive" school at the time.

Oh, sorry - I hope that wasn't too political there.

Anyway, our next ride may well be a Cadillac. XT4 is still on the short list. I don't discriminate against ICE cars and the price is right.
NerdUno likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:35 PM

JLR are limited by budget. They're not going to spend oodles of cash on marketing of anything when they lose $4B in a single quarter (which was admittedly an anomaly but still.) It's easier for them to make sure to gain a solid foothold in the European market, which they've done, than to aggressively compete on Tesla's turf.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:47 AM

I have just seen a few television ads for the I-Pace on cable news channels.

They've been running many ads for the E-Pace and/or F-Pace models on those same channels.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
I have just seen a few television ads for the I-Pace on cable news channels.
I don't remember any of those here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
They've been running many ads for the E-Pace and/or F-Pace models on those same channels.
Every day. It used to be E-Pace but now it's this F-Pace ad.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page