100kW charge rate misleading, see chart - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

100kW charge rate misleading, see chart

Was excited to hear a recent software update will enable 100-105kW rate of charge for the I-Pace. My most recent DCFC session maxed out at 75kW. Unfortunately, this new high rate is only employed at under 40% SOC. (see chart below) When you look at the rate vs. SOC it becomes even more disappointing, falling below 50kW at 80% SOC. Let's hope the incremental improvements in charge rate keep coming.

See article: https://insideevs.com/jaguar-i-pace-...-after-update/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipace-charge-rate.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1611  

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Does Jaguar not do OTA updates for the I-Pace? Are they having owners come into dealerships just so they can better monitor bugs and problems with the new software patch?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:09 PM

No EV yet has a linear charge rate.

Here's an example:

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
No EV yet has a linear charge rate.
Looks like the e-Tron comes the closest based on the graphs from a month or 2 ago, but it doesn't start deliveries until next month. And to do it they sacrificed range (only 204mi EPA rating) by reserving 12% of the battery.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

I'll take 15% more range over (occasional use of) DC fast charging rate any day! Big win for Jaguar!
McRat, NerdUno and Mister Dave like this.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Hi all. I just got a my I-Pace a few days ago. When trying my local fast charger (twice), I was only pulling about 40-50 kW rate of charge on an Electrify America DC fast charger (up to 350 kW). This is not good for long distance trips, which I'll soon need to do. Does anyone know if the dealer needs to do the software update for charging up to 100, or is it OTA? If it was already out, not sure why it wouldn't have been done during the pre-delivery inspection at the dealer.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Recently, I did charge at an Electrify America 320 kW charger from 37% to 80% in 00:32: 52. Energy delivered 36.7kWh. Max Charging rate 93.6 kw. I guess it depends on your car battery SoC. Please see the link above as quoted by dtgsrq on 4/4/19.
The dealer should have done the updates but all are not up to speed.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath_h View Post
Hi all. I just got a my I-Pace a few days ago. When trying my local fast charger (twice), I was only pulling about 40-50 kW rate of charge on an Electrify America DC fast charger (up to 350 kW). This is not good for long distance trips, which I'll soon need to do. Does anyone know if the dealer needs to do the software update for charging up to 100, or is it OTA? If it was already out, not sure why it wouldn't have been done during the pre-delivery inspection at the dealer.
There are two software versions you can check in the car: Infotainment (currently 19A) and Telematics (currently 15.2). Neither are available OTA at this time. I’m not sure which one of these (if either) controls charge rate, but I know others are charging at over 50.

I would like to hear what they sent you out the door with. I suspect 18C and 14.2.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
Recently, I did charge at an Electrify America 320 kW charger from 37% to 80% in 00:32: 52. Energy delivered 36.7kWh. Max Charging rate 93.6 kw. I guess it depends on your car battery SoC. Please see the link above as quoted by dtgsrq on 4/4/19.
The dealer should have done the updates but all are not up to speed.
Linky broky.

It's probably an ABB 350. I took a pic of the data plate on it, but don't remember where I put it. But the ABB 350 I used didn't display the kW, only kWh and minutes, I had to calculate it.
It goes past 800vdc, seems it was ~1000 x 350 amps?

From another post, not all 50kW chargers are created equal. I averaged almost 50kW on the one at Costco, Goleta CA starting at 31% to 98%.
In my case that's over 150 mph charging at [email protected]F. Yet the one in Victorville was only 43 kW IIRC at best.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:00 PM

There are three schools of thought on this site about charging.

Those worried that 7kW will harm the battery if allowed over 80% SOC.
Those worried that the car will not charge at 100kW when over 80% SOC.

And my school of thought:
If JLR engineers thought that 7kW at 99% would harm the battery if plugged in daily, they would not allow it.
If the oldest EV mfr's see decay when DCFC charging and nerf the crap out of the software limits when past 50%, I'm thinking they learned this the expensive way.
When I travel long distances, I use an airplane. If I wanted to drive 1000 miles ASAP, I would drive anything EXCEPT a BEV. No EV has good range and infrastructure for driving 95 mph for extended distances. And the term Direct Current Fast Charging is a misnomer. It's actually Direct Current Fkgslow Charging at this point in technology. Fast is large mouth diesel refueling. Like 50 gallons a minute. When it's a 25 mpg pickup, it Ultrafast fueling.
The best of both worlds is still the Chevrolet Volt, especially the 2019. You can drive up to 101 mph sustained with reasonable economy for long distance runs, but for most your driving done each year, it's pure electric. It's true fast-refueling when desired, and it's pure EV when desired.