Took the i-Pace to the desert - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Took the i-Pace to the desert

Went on family vacation (desert camping trip) with the i-Pace and the Touareg. Some pictures attached. I think we were the first EV ever to travel the portion of the Mojave Road between Aiken Mine Road and Kelso Cima Road as no widely available EV other than the i-Pace has sufficient offroading capabilities. I managed to get it on two wheels on a bit with moguls

The drive from Palo Alto to Barstow took two charging stops, ChargePoint in Coalinga and EVGo in Bakersfield. Barstow Days Inn has a few Level2 Chargers. Access to the Mojave Preserve was facilitated by the EVGo superfast charger in Baker. Also pic attached. Ridiculous setting .. at "The World's Tallest Thermometer."

[Sidebar: the Chargepoint app lets you see when other vehicles charged at these stations. In the four days between our trips down and back home, no other vehicle charged in Coalinga on I5; and there are no alternatives!. It's sobering to see how few EVs travel longer distances. The only Teslas around were on car transports.]

The distance between charge stops was 150 miles for two legs, 100 for one of them. I didn't compromise on driving style *except* on the way home approaching Tehachapi from Barstow. It's one of the windiest places in California, as evidenced by the enormous number of rapidly spinning big windmills, and the wind always comes from the West. Driving 60 was like driving 80, eating up range. So I drafted behind trucks for ~20 miles to get some money in the bank and got to Bakersfield with 20% left.

The i-Pace is an amazingly comfortable car for medium-long distance travel. Steering assist and adaptive cruise control make it easy and the long charging stops (which are a hassle, admittedly) force you to relax and regenerate. My wife now likes the car because "even the back seat is comfortable". The offroading capabilities are excellent for a car of this class. Oh, and we drove it through one foot of water on the way home on Panoche Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coalinga_ChargePoint.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	1585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bakersfield_EVGo.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	1587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	1589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker_EVGo.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1591   Click image for larger version

Name:	MojaveRd.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	1593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	KelsoCima.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	1595  
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:23 AM

Good for you! Personally I am terrified to get my car dusty much less fording 1 of water. You are a braver man than I...

I agree that distance travelling is tough when our charge rate is capped at the rate that it is. I hope to see that update soon to allow us to use some of these new hot rod charging stations.

Based on this last trip what sort of real-world range were you seeing?

By the way, seeing $150,000 of vehicle to transport $12 of vinyl tent is an interesting contrast to say the least. No Hampton Suites out in the desert?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Sciencegeek. I am dead impressed I have to say. Can I ask that you copy and post your entire post with the pictures onto the UK forum as I think many of us here in Europe would love to see that our iPaces are competent to make a trip like yours.
https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Good for you! Personally I am terrified to get my car dusty much less fording 1 of water. You are a braver man than I...

I agree that distance travelling is tough when our charge rate is capped at the rate that it is. I hope to see that update soon to allow us to use some of these new hot rod charging stations.

Based on this last trip what sort of real-world range were you seeing?

By the way, seeing $150,000 of vehicle to transport $12 of vinyl tent is an interesting contrast to say the least. No Hampton Suites out in the desert?
Hey those tents are $250 each! You should have seen the Barstow Days Inn, a Quality Establishment! Ugh. We stayed there only because it has several Chargepoint 6.6kW chargers. I'm frankly baffled that they put those at a hotel of this, ahem, quality.

I used 75% on 150 miles on each of four legs but to say that translates to 200 mile range is fooling oneself because unless you're at an overnight charger you're going to max out at 90%; and range anxiety prevents you from going below 10 because there's enough variance in local conditions that you never start a leg of a distance that's the same as your range ... in other words, you usually end up having 10-20% left.

The only time I had to manage driving style was that windy bit ... otherwise it was left lane.

Yeah we really really need 100kW and above charging. It would make a gigantic difference. But in the foreseeable future we'll be stuck with a lot of 50kW chargers in the more far-flung places because given the low usage they're not going to be upgrading or putting faster chargers near 50kW ones.
NerdUno likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:43 AM

There is an update for I-Paces that will accept 105 kW peak.

The trick is to get them to load it in your car. Note that is barely 1.1C charging rate.

TOPIx claims my car just needs to be activated for SOTA updates. Har. You'd first have to find a dealer who knew that data can be sent via radio waves.

The good news is apparently the I-Pace might go higher than 50kW at 50kW chargers. They were not set up 108s charging, and they are rated in amps. I didn't keep detailed notes, but my car went from 31% to 98% at an EVConnect 50kW in 1h. That's 55kW average. Even with the high SOC taper.
NerdUno likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:22 PM

I hit the EA station at Florida Mall again on a 300+ mile journey this weekend... 75kw was max rate, but then again I didn't have the latest BEMS update (yet) to get 105kw. 35% to 99% in just under an hour (also including the SOC taper). Based on the 80% SOC text from EA, charging from 35% to 80% took just 30 minutes. Exciting to think that could get 33% faster (20 min?).
NerdUno likes this.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM

Sounds like you had fun. This might seem like an odd question, but why would anyone want to camp out in a valley full of rocks and rattlesnakes?

I've always been partial to forest areas myself.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post
Sounds like you had fun. This might seem like an odd question, but why would anyone want to camp out in a valley full of rocks and rattlesnakes?

The aliens have an easier time abducting you that way.
PGhiron likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post

I have had my fill of Uncle Sam sponsored ‘camping’. I’ve become partial to indoor plumbing, a climate controlled environment and a big comfortable bed...
YEG-Martin and PGhiron like this.

Photon Red FE
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
The aliens have an easier time abducting you that way.
Aaahhh. Oustanding!
PGhiron likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page