Home charger issue/question - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jsimon7777

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Home charger issue/question

I have a Bosch Power Max 30A charger that's been installed for 4 years now...have used it successfully on 2 previous cars with no issues. It charges my I-pace just fine (blinks green while charging) but when the vehicle is completely charged the Power Max starts blinking red and remains that way until I unplug it. On my other cars it would go to solid green when charging was complete (the expected behavior). According to Bosch manual, red blinking means "minor fault", but it seems odd to me that it only does this when the Ipace finishes charging. I'm wondering if the car is sending some kind of signal or changing something when it's done charging to make the Bosch charger think there's an error? Cant figure it out, wondering if anyone has any thoughts. There's never been an issue with the charger and it still successfully charges other EVs without ever blinking red. I'm going to call Bosch tech support to see if there's any problem with leaving it plugged in and flashing red all night, since we're usually plugging in the car right before bed.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:56 AM

One thing that may be happening is when the I Pace turns off draw a surge of currents may go to ground. I have had charges (including some versions of same one) that can be too sensitive to ground surges on start/stop and throw faults. This includes earlier Siemens outdoor units.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:35 PM

We have a Bosch charger, and I haven't seen this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 PM

Hmm... One of my chargers is a hardwired Bosch and it's been trouble free for 6 years even though mounted outside. IIRC, it charged the I-Pace just fine. I don't remember having a problem yet.
I could check later. We have 3 L2's at home, and the Bosch is not normally used for the I-Pace except when the garage is blocked.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Hmm... One of my chargers is a hardwired Bosch and it's been trouble free for 6 years even though mounted outside. IIRC, it charged the I-Pace just fine. I don't remember having a problem yet.
I could check later. We have 3 L2's at home, and the Bosch is not normally used for the I-Pace except when the garage is blocked.
Wow. I thought we were excessive with two L2s. Granted I have thought of putting one outside. Fortunately one can barely reach outside and to a charge point, for when we've needed that.
NerdUno likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page