Dock for Phone? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 367
Dock for Phone?

Since I'm getting more and more used to using Car Play on every trip in this thing, I'm thinking it might be interesting to just create an actual dock so that when you put the phone down it just plugs in automatically. It seems like this could be done by modifying the bottom of the cup holder with the space available. Did anyone think of this?

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
sgtpeper is online now  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Since I'm getting more and more used to using Car Play on every trip in this thing, I'm thinking it might be interesting to just create an actual dock so that when you put the phone down it just plugs in automatically. It seems like this could be done by modifying the bottom of the cup holder with the space available. Did anyone think of this?
JLR makes a phone dock that fits in the smaller of the two cup holders, but I’m not sure if it is simply a holder otr if it is powered...
Dantrium is online now  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
bruintoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: California, USA
Posts: 397
Can only hold up to iPhone 8 size not X or Plus. Also requires drilling holes?
JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E214866.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1555  
bruintoo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 367
I've seen that one. I'm thinking something that wouldn't sacrifice a cup holder.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
sgtpeper is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Florida, USA
Posts: 187
I actually placed one of my wireless chargers (small flat square type) in between the space below the lower Touch Pro Duo screen...it's at slant down but because the wireless charger has rubber edging, my iPhone stays right in place.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
sflgator is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
I actually placed one of my wireless chargers (small flat square type) in between the space below the lower Touch Pro Duo screen...it's at slant down but because the wireless charger has rubber edging, my iPhone stays right in place. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Unfortunately, that doesn’t work if one wants to use CarPlay
bruintoo, epirali and sgtpeper like this.
Dantrium is online now  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
I actually placed one of my wireless chargers (small flat square type) in between the space below the lower Touch Pro Duo screen...it's at slant down but because the wireless charger has rubber edging, my iPhone stays right in place.
Picture please?
alphanstein is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Florida, USA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Unfortunately, that doesn’t work if one wants to use CarPlay
Nope unless you have your phone plugged into the USB port directly inside the armrest pocket. I hardly ever use the Apple CarPlay...waiting until they can do it wirelessly. But, at least my iPhone is always charged up with the wireless charger.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
sflgator is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
My car came with the iPhone charger for the small cup holder. It slides into the cup holder and Jaguar made a hole underneath and a charging cable runs through it into a usb charger. Its all held together with a sticky pad at the bottom.

My phone was too big so I removed the Iphone set up and put a a standard cable through the hole from the usb charger and I connect it directly into the phone which now sits between the two cup holders.
holderone is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 285
GPS Signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holderone View Post
My car came with the iPhone charger for the small cup holder. It slides into the cup holder and Jaguar made a hole underneath and a charging cable runs through it into a usb charger. Its all held together with a sticky pad at the bottom.

My phone was too big so I removed the Iphone set up and put a a standard cable through the hole from the usb charger and I connect it directly into the phone which now sits between the two cup holders.
With the phone sitting between the cup holders in that slot, the phone is low inside the car. Do you get any lag in GPS signal when using Apple, Google, or Waze maps? I seem to get some lag with the phone plugged into the console USB and the phone physically sitting at about cup level. Haven't really determined if the problem is GPS or with the Cell signal. Perhaps I hit a dead cell zone from time to time that causes a lag. What is your experience?

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
Sbingham60 is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome