Sat for 2.5 weeks. 12V Battery died! :( - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Sat for 2.5 weeks. 12V Battery died! :(

While waiting for the broken window to come in and then recovering from illness, the car sat for 2.5 - 3 weeks. When I went to start it, the car was dead as a doornail. Sooo... after some communication with a service adviser, I unscrewed the cover in the passenger footwell to pop the frunk then tore off some tabs to reveal the battery. Then I bent back the positive terminal cover, attached my jumper cables, and started the car up. The main battery had 97%! I made it to the dealer and got a loaner. I also found out, in this process, that I never got my charger when I bought the car. I've been using our 240v chargers all this time, and just assumed the 120v was in the trunk. It wasn't. I'm not sure if the 120v would jump the car, but it might be worth a try.

Also the Discovery Sport loaner is a surprisingly decent ride with plenty of torque from a 2 liter turbo. Very little spool time or turbo lag. Color me impressed.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

There is this technical bulletin about 12v battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12V_I-Pace.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1517  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
There is this technical bulletin about 12v battery.
Interesting. Says (excluding North America) in the header. Why would US cars be different?

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Yup, they're fixing it. Sadly it bit me.

I can't get over how surprisingly good the Discovery Sport is. It's 4300lbs + but it feels like it's 3700. For point and shoot traffic, the motor is great and the tranny is smooth. Suspension is luxury soft on little bumps and a little rough on the big ones, but in the turns, it turns! I live on a canyon road ya know. I mean, it doesn't feel like the ipace, but it feels a sight better than the much lighter Forester and Rav4. Pretty good seat comfort, though it could use extendable thigh support. It's a 2018, so the entertainment is old, which is a good thing in my book. Really, really impressed. I think Jab/RR might be my brand of choice.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

I got the weights wrong. It'w 3960lbs. Still feels lighter than it is.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM

Has JLR detailed if its possible to hook up some kind of tender to the I-Pace, rather than leaving it plugged in for extended periods of time? I would imagine in the long term that could lead to some kind of battery deterioration.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Check to see if any of the 12v 'lighter' sockets are hot when the car is off. Then you can get a tender that will plug into a 12v outlet. If parked outside, there are even solar ones.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Yup, they're fixing it. Sadly it bit me.

I can't get over how surprisingly good the Discovery Sport is. It's 4300lbs + but it feels like it's 3700. For point and shoot traffic, the motor is great and the tranny is smooth. Suspension is luxury soft on little bumps and a little rough on the big ones, but in the turns, it turns! I live on a canyon road ya know. I mean, it doesn't feel like the ipace, but it feels a sight better than the much lighter Forester and Rav4. Pretty good seat comfort, though it could use extendable thigh support. It's a 2018, so the entertainment is old, which is a good thing in my book. Really, really impressed. I think Jab/RR might be my brand of choice.
I drove both the low end LR and the Jag XE? as service loaners. They handle surprisingly well for their price.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Check to see if any of the 12v 'lighter' sockets are hot when the car is off. Then you can get a tender that will plug into a 12v outlet. If parked outside, there are even solar ones.
Just measured mine with car off, and it reads 14.78 volts.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior
20" Wheels Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
Interesting. I have a 12v issue that result in 12v battery low warnings. Immediately after a long drive right after turning off engine. But my Vin is later than the service bulletin list. So probably another error.

It also got a lot of other issues. All relating to 12v operated functions.
Think trunk opener, navigation and similar systems that runs of the 12volt. I suspect black screen may have same reason. 12v dips in voltage and system have to reboot
Still only a guess from me though.

It is back at dealer again who finally contacted importer.
Service guy told me the 12v only get charged when braking or regenerating. Not when connected to charger. Wonder if that can be really true. Would be a very bad design.
Tech also told me that cars standing on the dealer lot do discharge the 12v battery. I know that a deep discharge will damage a lead acid battery. Dealer would replace my battery. But it seems they found something more as they finally contact factory for all the issues.

The bad part is I only get a basic XE without navigation as a loaner.
So far 3 week at dealer and 3 weeks with me. The problem is the dealer do not touch the car for 2-3 days after booked appointment or call me back with updates.
Complex system can take time to search for root cause but dealer should be proactive and get back to me after a week and update me of what’s going on. I.e.they need to keep the car longer time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page