California Toll Road / HOV Tip for EVs: - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
Thanks very much - that picture helps. Do you have a heated windshield? I do not have one, and my cell reception has no issues with an iPhone 7, but I only use it for voice calls.
I will go to the main EZPass store in Raleigh, NC and I understand they have instruments which determines the best placement. If still a problem, I may have to get an external transponder. Will keep the forum updated.
I have the EZ Pass in Florida. Using the portable version with the suction cups. Mine is mounted to the left of the rear view mirror per the illustration posted by ryzvy. No problems with both fast (highway toll crossing) and slow (airport and other EZPass accessible readers) reading.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
I have the EZ Pass in Florida. Using the portable version with the suction cups. Mine is mounted to the left of the rear view mirror per the illustration posted by ryzvy. No problems with both fast (highway toll crossing) and slow (airport and other EZPass accessible readers) reading.
Interesting -- if you have it stuck to the left of the rear view mirror, it is not in the dotted area illustrated by ryzvy. Can we infer it is more of an issue with heated windshields? May be I really need to give the forum an update after I visit the main EZPass ( NC QuickPass here), so they can check real time. Again, I do not have a heated windshield.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
Interesting -- if you have it stuck to the left of the rear view mirror, it is not in the dotted area illustrated by ryzvy. Can we infer it is more of an issue with heated windshields? May be I really need to give the forum an update after I visit the main EZPass ( NC QuickPass here), so they can check real time. Again, I do not have a heated windshield.
It is in the dotted area. Just to the left of the internal rear view mirror (actually overlap with the left/backide of the mirror, so that it doesn't obscure visibility.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Something to note. We have 4 transponders. Two of them arrived with dead batteries. They don't necessarily check them before reissuing them.
But... If they have plate readers, why bother?

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 PM

I'm in Virginia and cannot get EZ pass to work! I've mounted it to the windshield (shown in picture), and it would not work (I tried 2 different EZ pass internal boxes). They set me the license place transponder, and that won't work either (I take that back, it worked 1 time out of the 4 attempts to go through toll booth). My salesman in Tysons Corner, VA had never heard of an issue... Glad to know I'm not the only one. Wish I knew a solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	1561  

Last edited by Hollyzworld; 03-25-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Something to note. We have 4 transponders. Two of them arrived with dead batteries. They don't necessarily check them before reissuing them.
But... If they have plate readers, why bother?
I've tried 2 different transponders, that work inside my other vehicles, as well as the plate reader. None working in Northern Virginia.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyzworld View Post
I'm in Virginia and cannot get EZ pass to work! I've mounted it to the windshield (shown in picture), and it would not work (I tried 2 different EZ pass internal boxes). They set me the license place transponder, and that won't work either (I take that back, it worked 1 time out of the 4 attempts to go through toll booth). My salesman in Tysons Corner, VA had never heard of an issue... Glad to know I'm not the only one. Wish I knew a solution!
They have been replacing/servicing tag readers on the Dulles Toll Rd booths and I have noticed that mine works flawlessly on the old ones but not once on the new ones. There was a specific toll booth that was working before but stopped last week after they changed the readers on it

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
It is in the dotted area. Just to the left of the internal rear view mirror (actually overlap with the left/backide of the mirror, so that it doesn't obscure visibility.
Shouldn't trust my memory. When I got back to the car last night and looked, the transponder for the toll roads is definitely in the dotted area, which is not really to the left of the mirror, but up and to the left as in the picture. Sorry about the poor description of the placement. The point being that the portable EZPass functions in the location recommended in the iGuide. Will be interesting to see the variability by state and system for the types of transponders that are available.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:19 AM

I am pleased to report that I put my SunPass in the dotted area (just upward and left of the rear view mirror console as in the owners manual) and my trip over (and back) on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge today resulted in two tolls paid (verified online just now). I've also started holding my GDO (yes, I still have that loaner so using my GDO) in that area and it works! Another problem solved by reading this forum, thanks ryzvy!
ryzvy likes this.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 PM

I'm sorry, but why are there toll roads? Just put it into everybody's taxes the way that most cities in the universe do, because it's to everybody's benefit to have roads. And, stop making your city/state a giant pain in the ass to people who are just visiting?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page