California Toll Road / HOV Tip for EVs: - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Like CyberSlug I can also confirm that for the older 4x4 transponder it works and beeps when it is up against the windhshield in the area next to the rear view mirror. I have ordered the new smaller transponder to actually mount it to the glass.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W04t3r View Post
Like CyberSlug I can also confirm that for the older 4x4 transponder it works and beeps when it is up against the windhshield in the area next to the rear view mirror. I have ordered the new smaller transponder to actually mount it to the glass.
I can also confirm your confirmation of the CybrSlug observation (from mine).
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I just retested the 'small' stick in the dotted rearview mirror area on the 241 toll road instead of the 91. Same. No beep. Defective stick? Heated windshield? Transponder reader not on? I don't know. But I do see entries on the FasTrak billing site.
So at least I know I'm not getting a ticket.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:06 AM

Maybe put the transponder in the frunk?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I just retested the 'small' stick in the dotted rearview mirror area on the 241 toll road instead of the 91. Same. No beep. Defective stick? Heated windshield? Transponder reader not on? I don't know. But I do see entries on the FasTrak billing site.
So at least I know I'm not getting a ticket.
On the website it should show if it was a plate scan or transponder. That would let you know if the transponder is working but not signaling for some reason (unlikely, but worth checking).
McRat likes this.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Maybe put the transponder in the frunk?
IIRC, the rules for FasTrak say the transponder must be visible. I've never had an issue with it for several years of use, so it's not enforced much (knock on wood).

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
I'm 100% convinced the windshield (the heated ones, not sure about others) DOES create signal interference (see my post about use of a GDO). I've also been issued several tickets despite using Florida transponder driving through SunPass toll booths (yet it worked when I pulled over, rolled down a window to pay cash - GRRR). Don't the engineers at JLR realize the variety of transponders used worldwide and how this windshield (whether its the heating wires or infrared coating) can impede their functionality???
I just saw this post and am also on the east coast and use an EZ Pass transponder, which is similar to the SunPass.
I do not have a heated windshield, but just a regular one. Do you have any recommendations as to where to place an internal windshield Toll (EZ pass) transmitter? They normally recommend it to be near the rear view mirror -- just below or an inch on the side, from the stem of the rear view mirror. I would appreciate any one who has successfully used this to please shed some light.
I read another post which mentions the dotted area next to the rear view mirror -- is this the dotted area all along the top of the windshield?
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
I just saw this post and am also on the east coast and use an EZ Pass transponder, which is similar to the SunPass.
I do not have a heated windshield, but just a regular one. Do you have any recommendations as to where to place an internal windshield Toll (EZ pass) transmitter? They normally recommend it to be near the rear view mirror -- just below or an inch on the side, from the stem of the rear view mirror. I would appreciate any one who has successfully used this to please shed some light.
I read another post which mentions the dotted area next to the rear view mirror -- is this the dotted area all along the top of the windshield?
See attached screenshot from the owner's manual. The recommended area is only the small dotted rectangles on both sides of the rear-view mirror. I also use the EZPass transponder in DC/MD/VA and have placed it in that dotted area on the driver's side, but I gotta say my results are mixed at best. There are a few toll-booths where the tag never registers no matter how slowly I drive through it. My vehicle also severely restricts the GPS signal. I am only able to use Waze/Google Maps reliably if I place my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+) in a very specific spot (passenger's side cup-holder with the screen facing the side window and angled up). I never have any issues with voice calls but Pandora/Amazon Music are choppy at certain times leading me to believe that the data coverage is also being affected. Having said all that, there are a lot of people on the forums who have experienced no GPS/cell-reception issues, so it could just be my phone as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toll tag.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1559  

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzvy View Post
See attached screenshot from the owner's manual. The recommended area is only the small dotted rectangles on both sides of the rear-view mirror. I also use the EZPass transponder in DC/MD/VA and have placed it in that dotted area on the driver's side, but I gotta say my results are mixed at best. There are a few toll-booths where the tag never registers no matter how slowly I drive through it. My vehicle also severely restricts the GPS signal. I am only able to use Waze/Google Maps reliably if I place my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+) in a very specific spot (passenger's side cup-holder with the screen facing the side window and angled up). I never have any issues with voice calls but Pandora/Amazon Music are choppy at certain times leading me to believe that the data coverage is also being affected. Having said all that, there are a lot of people on the forums who have experienced no GPS/cell-reception issues, so it could just be my phone as well.
Thanks very much - that picture helps. Do you have a heated windshield? I do not have one, and my cell reception has no issues with an iPhone 7, but I only use it for voice calls.
I will go to the main EZPass store in Raleigh, NC and I understand they have instruments which determines the best placement. If still a problem, I may have to get an external transponder. Will keep the forum updated.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
Thanks very much - that picture helps. Do you have a heated windshield? I do not have one, and my cell reception has no issues with an iPhone 7, but I only use it for voice calls.
I will go to the main EZPass store in Raleigh, NC and I understand they have instruments which determines the best placement. If still a problem, I may have to get an external transponder. Will keep the forum updated.
I do have a heated windshield which may account for some of my signal reception woes Good luck with your EZPass transponder.

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page