SIM card, connectivity, etc - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

SIM card, connectivity, etc

So I've been driving almost since day 1 with no SIM card in the center console slot.

As you probably all know, clicking "Software update" from the "All settings" menu brings up two menu items:

InControl Touch Pro software
and
Vehicle software

Vehicle software:
With or without SIM card, clicking "Check for update" on the Vehicle software item brings up my Telematics software version (14.2) and the helpful "no update available" popup.

InControl Touch Pro software:
My version shows as S18D
Without SIM, clicking "Check for update" brings up the popup "No internet connection"
With SIM, clicking "Check for update" brings up the "no update available" popup.

Therefore:

1. InControl Touch Pro runs over the "user supplied SIM", which the manual clearly states is for "Mobile data connectivity" and appears to be alternative to connecting to a WiFi network ... much like your cell phone.

2. "Telematics" (whatever that really means) runs via the car's embedded SIM.

Parenthetically, clicking "Connectivity" in the "All settings" menu and going to the last item of the scrollable list ("About") brings up the "Vehicle MAC address" regardless of having a SIM in the slot or WiFi connected.

The fact that all the car's functions (except live traffic, web browser, "live", and InControl Apps) work just fine without a "personal" SIM is reassuring.

Finally, I can't help but speculate that some of the issues other users are experiencing with infotainment, blank screens, etc, are due to spotty connectivity through the personal SIM card. If you don't care about the aforementioned functionalities (live traffic, web browser, "live", and InControl Apps) I recommend yanking the SIM card to see if things get better.

HTH

Edit: .. yanking the SIM *and* connecting to WiFi "off" in "Connectivity" menu
McRat, epirali and fedorachef like this.

Last edited by sciencegeek; 02-13-2019 at 08:23 PM.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:50 PM

Does the car need to SIM card or can you use your phone as a hotspot?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystale View Post
Does the car need to SIM card or can you use your phone as a hotspot?
You can use your phone, but i haven’t discovered the secret to have the car automatically connect to a WiFi network and when I manually connect, it doesn’t save the password, so I have to enter the password every time, which is a PIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
You can use your phone, but i haven’t discovered the secret to have the car automatically connect to a WiFi network and when I manually connect, it doesn’t save the password, so I have to enter the password every time, which is a PIA.
I'm considering getting an iPad mini cellular to leave in the car as Hotspot and media device in stead of paying for the att data plan, that way I can use Verizon (better network) but if the car can't remember a wifi password.....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 AM

I have my home Wifi password saved and it reconnects when it is at home.
markgroce likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
What are the steps to get it to remember the WiFi password? I do not see that option and it would be awesome if I could do that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Me, too. (#Dantrium, I've never had a problem with it reconnecting, either. Didn't do anything special other than enter wifi password the first time..)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Quote:
Me, too. (#Dantrium, I've never had a problem with it reconnecting, either. Didn't do anything special other than enter wifi password the first time..)
Are you version 18D? I’m on 18C, maybe it was a software update which allows it to save passwords?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Before I took delivery, I had the dealer update to the latest SW version, told him no delivery if that was not done and tested so that they could prove I would not have the infotainment issues that were surfacing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Problem here might be the phone, some phones don't run the Hotspot unless you specifically activate it (you have to be in the hotspot menu section), or the phone might still be on your home WiFi in which case it won't broadcast the hotspot...
NerdUno likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page