About to confirm my final spec - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Question About to confirm my final spec

Hi all

New Zealand based here, and about to confirm my final build spec, following my firm order being placed in December 2018.

There are a couple of items I'm wavering on whether to spec or not.

Air Suspension - my gut feel is yes to this. Smoother ride, ability to raise and lower if needed, although 90% of my driving is city based with 10% open road.

Adaptive Dynamics and Adaptive surface response - I don't see the need for this. I'm almost never driving in challenging conditions other than wet roads and don't see what benefit I'll get for the cost.

Heads up display - I've not had this before in a car and have only had an hour of driving the I-PACE with it so unsure. Largely I'm a CarPlay user and the information from that is limited through the HUD from what I can see.

Welcome thoughts/feedback from those who have these features.

Thanks
Andy
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM

I would say get the air suspension. It's really nice on rougher roads overall.

What wheels are you getting?
gbillcb and ted99 like this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Wheels are the 5068 gloss black 5 spokes.
To go with Santorini Black and the black pack.

MY20 / HSE / Santorini Black / Ebony & ebony / 20" 5-spoke gloss black / black pack
Reserved: 6 Mar 18 / Ordered: 31 Dec 18 / Build: est Mar 19 / Delivery: est May 19
New Zealand #4 reservation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Wheels are the 5068 gloss black 5 spokes.
To go with Santorini Black and the black pack.
My last 3 cars have had HUD. I personally would not consider a car without it
gbillcb and ted99 like this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM

I like the HUD a lot. I wish all our cars had them.

ADSR is overkill unless you drive in some rough conditions or off road. Our road gets mud slides now and again, and I'd like to have no trouble getting home in those situations.

Air suspension is smooth. Standard suspensions cannot compete. For a non-track car, air suspension and similar high-tech offerings are the way to go. They can break eventually and are expensive to repair. Still worth it.
ted99 likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM

I have air on 18" and took the car out yesterday for one of my favorite very bumpy country roads (Carmel Valley east). Sure-footed and very comfortable.
If you anticipate similar driving, I'd recommend air. I also agree that ADSR is an unnecessary add-on.
ted99 likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM

I find the HUD useful on the Jaguar since it shows the posted speed limit, NAV instructions, and status of the Adaptive Cruise Control and Steering Assist features.
And it has a speedometer reading and the next song coming up.

I love the suspension on my Jaguar, which is air and dynamic, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's nicer than our $80k Cadillac. It feels like a heavy sportscar but is not harsh.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I find the HUD useful on the Jaguar since it shows the posted speed limit, NAV instructions, and status of the Adaptive Cruise Control and Steering Assist features.
And it has a speedometer reading and the next song coming up.

I love the suspension on my Jaguar, which is air and dynamic, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's nicer than our $80k Cadillac. It feels like a heavy sportscar but is not harsh.
I agree with what everyone is saying about HUD display. This is my first and it is nice to have information on the windshield, much more than just speed and limit. Call, Navigation information also nice to see as well as driver assistance features for LKA and adaptive cruise.

With your type of driving the suspension may not be utilized. The active dynamics will provide for more spicy driving slightly but if you are in city most of time, that may not be something you can take advantage of with tighter turns or speedier drives.

Make your decision and don't look back, enjoy your new ride.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM

I have never had HUD and it seems like it might be distracting to me. I don't need the information it provides on a continuous basis. ie speed limits are posted if you are watching the road.

Most of us here are US based where air suspension is standard. The air suspension seems nice but I have not driven a Jaguar on springs either. Test drive for personal preference and price would come into play here.

I passed on the adaptive dynamics and surface response option. The I-Pace handles great as is and while it may provide an edge of improvement it is not needed for my needs. Your call.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 PM

#andy, you didn't specify your trim level (S/SE/HSE), but if budget is a concern I'd spend on air suspension and skip the HUD and the AD/ASR. I have 22s and with proper tire inflation (37psi, light load setting) and the air suspension I have no issue with the ride - its fantastic, and if I need to go over a tall curb (i.e., to park at an outdoor event) I can 'jack up' the height.

This is my first car with HUD and frankly I can take it or leave it. It's nice, but I got the FE with all the trimmings, so wasn't a decision I really had to make. I leave the HUD on because its useful, but I could live without it. Lastly, I agree with you on the AD/ASR... I rarely drive on surfaces that can take advantage of those.
My strongest recommendation is to avoid the heated windshield. I'm working on getting mine replaced - its that difficult/dangerous at night (and even annoying during the daylight). Probably not needed for the temperate climate of NZ anyway.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page