Valet Mode Tip: Better security for cargo. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By McRat
  • 2 Post By jsimon7777
  • 1 Post By dtgsrq
  • 1 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By jsimon7777
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
McRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Norco, California, USA
Posts: 1,306
Valet Mode Tip: Better security for cargo.

As many already know, Valet Mode locks the bonnet and boot from being accessed.
However, the boot area can be accessed by folding the back seats.

But there is <$10 fix for those who want to keep it secure from prying eyes or theft. Get a small motorcycle or cargo tie and keep it under you floorboard. I normally carry a couple anyways for cargo and other reasons. Bonus Tip, if you use carbiners (snap hooks), it becomes more useful for holding down cargo and you don't have to thread the tie-down. When you leave the divider in place, they cannot even tell if there is anything in the back, and assume the seats lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ipacecargo.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	1249  

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
McRat is online now  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
PGhiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 141
@McRat GREAT Idea. Thanks

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
PGhiron is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
As many already know, Valet Mode locks the bonnet and boot from being accessed.
Hey! We speak English, here, buddy! A bonnet goes on the head and a boot goes on the foot. Or in the ass.
McRat and sciencegeek like this.
jsimon7777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southwest, Florida USA
Posts: 370
At first I thought this was a great idea, although it made me wonder how bright the JLR engineers are... why lock the trunk/hatch/boot with 'valet mode' if accessible through the rear seats? Was it too much trouble to build a retracting pin to lock the seats, too, in that mode?

However, you're kidding yourself if you think the trunk/hatch/boot is secure in valet mode, even with your solution. The removeable "cover" for the trunk/hatch/boot is the weakness. If you remove the 2 strings that hold it in place (and allow for removal), the cover slides back just enough (before touching the hatch) to release its front hinge pins for removal, allowing complete access to the trunk/hatch/boot area, including the apparatus in your picture to restrain the seats. Yes, I just tried it before posting.
jsimon7777 likes this.
dtgsrq is online now  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
McRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Norco, California, USA
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
At first I thought this was a great idea, although it made me wonder how bright the JLR engineers are... why lock the trunk/hatch/boot with 'valet mode' if accessible through the rear seats? Was it too much trouble to build a retracting pin to lock the seats, too, in that mode?

However, you're kidding yourself if you think the trunk/hatch/boot is secure in valet mode, even with your solution. The removeable "cover" for the trunk/hatch/boot is the weakness. If you remove the 2 strings that hold it in place (and allow for removal), the cover slides back just enough (before touching the hatch) to release its front hinge pins for removal, allowing complete access to the trunk/hatch/boot area, including the apparatus in your picture to restrain the seats. Yes, I just tried it before posting.
With a rock you could gain access as well, that's the fastest. And JLR makes a pet cage which goes to the roof.

All the strap does is make it more difficult to see what is in the back, and more difficult to access the contents. Get 2 crimps, some 3/16" rubberized cable and a padlock, and it's more secure, but not secure. You just need bolt cutters instead.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 02-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.
McRat is online now  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southwest, Florida USA
Posts: 370
I wanted to embrace your solution, #McRat, I really did! Seems like JLR could make just 2 adjustments and truly 'secure' the hatch/trunk/boot in valet mode: lock the seats with pin(s), and re-engineer the interior rear cover to prevent removal when hatch is closed.
My favorite takeaway from your post is the idea of valet-mode locked frunk for storage of "valuables" (laptops, cameras, other small high value items that wouldn't fit in the glovebox). Thanks!
dtgsrq is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
McRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Norco, California, USA
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
I wanted to embrace your solution, #McRat, I really did! Seems like JLR could make just 2 adjustments and truly 'secure' the hatch/trunk/boot in valet mode: lock the seats with pin(s), and re-engineer the interior rear cover to prevent removal when hatch is closed.
My favorite takeaway from your post is the idea of valet-mode locked frunk for storage of "valuables" (laptops, cameras, other small high value items that wouldn't fit in the glovebox). Thanks!
If you have a locked trunk, by FMVSS you must now add an emergency release. I think this is why locking seats are rare on hatchbacks and liftbacks.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
McRat is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 653
So how can I secure my kidnapping victims, then?
jsimon7777 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
McRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Norco, California, USA
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
So how can I secure my kidnapping victims, then?
If they are under 164lb, you store them in the roof bin since it locks. You might have to cut them up to get them to fit though.
dtgsrq likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
McRat is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
If they are under 164lb, you store them in the roof bin since it locks. You might have to cut them up to get them to fit though.
Stupid British design! I want to cut them up after transport, not before.
dtgsrq likes this.
jsimon7777 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important Security Info Administrator Forum Information, Help, and Bug Reports 0 06-18-2018 03:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome