Performance in snow/ice with OEM tires? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Performance in snow/ice with OEM tires?

How have your experiences been with the OEM tires when driving in wintery conditions? Assuming "snow mode" is on, is that enough, or do the OEM tires still need help on hills etc.

Please answer including your rim size, as the OEM tires are different makes between sizes.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Which wheels?

I have the 22" wheels and the P-Zeros were obviously horribly. I had to get larger all-season tires that seem to do a great job.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina_w View Post
How have your experiences been with the OEM tires when driving in wintery conditions? Assuming "snow mode" is on, is that enough, or do the OEM tires still need help on hills etc.

Please answer including your rim size, as the OEM tires are different makes between sizes.
I have the GoodYear All Season. Definitely not the best nor the worst tire I have had. I would rate them ‘average’. I have not had any problems driving when/where I want. Traction insnow is average to good, traction on well packed snow and ice is average to poor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:09 PM

I have a 20" Continental winter tire and often drive in snowy conditions and set the Snow/Ice/Rain mode. Both my wife and I feel that the IPace is much more stable and 'stuck' to the road then our previous car (jeep) was. I am not sure what the default OEM tires are but I guess this varies between the S, SE, HSE models as well and the country of purchase.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina_w View Post

I have the 22” P-Zeros and they are pretty much useless in slush/snow. I live in Canada and am hoping they come out with an all-season for that rim soon. So far nothing is available and the thought of putting ugly wheels on for 6 months of the year doesn’t seem like much of an option.

The weather has been brutally cold and my iPace has been sitting in the garage for over a week while I slum in a pickup to get to work. ...sigh...

The ride is compromised when the temp drops and the rubber gets hard and unresponsive not to mention the lack of grip. Just praying for spring...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Timbo - There are a bunch of options if you jump up to a 265 40 22 vs the stock 255 40 22. I was able to get Continental DWS to fit nicely and they seem to work very well in snow/slush/ice here in Denver.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 PM

I was repeatedly warned by the dealer not to alter the tires as a small percentage difference in rotational distance can mess with the computers. Another guy who bought his at the same time put on a nice set of 19s off (I think) his F-Pace which looked sharp. Here is the thing—the dealer made him sign off that he was warned about installing unapproved wheels and tires. I think that will protect them against a warranty claim in the future maybe.

From the way they describe it, the car is constantly measuring and adjusting the motors from front to rear and left to right and if you start messing with the size of the wheel you can cause problems. Specifically what problems, I am not sure. It would be nice if you could access the computer and type in what size wheel/tire combo you have so it can make the adjustments.

The other theory could be that they just wanted me to buy their snow tire package on those horrific 18” wheels. No thank-you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM

That makes sense but shouldn't be the issue here. The 265 40 22 is SO close overall it shouldn't cause any issues. I think the bigger problem would be if they were significantly wider or taller and rubbed or if you did a non-square setup.

Either way, it was the best option I had to not kill myself while driving around town.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM

I was really impressed that my 22’s were working in the cold and snow until around the fourth day I slid into a curb at about 1 mph and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop. Yes I might have made it through this winter, but I would have probably wrecked a few very expensive wheels.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I was repeatedly warned by the dealer not to alter the tires as a small percentage difference in rotational distance can mess with the computers. .

Common dealer "buy only our wheels" tactic / positioning. Has same experience with BMW.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page