Ran some errands this afternoon - 317.4 miles of range. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Ran some errands this afternoon - 317.4 miles of range.

Congested freeways everywhere yielded only 36 mph average speed, peak speed held to 65 mph, but traffic kept that from happening much.

123.8 miles used 39% of the charge at 72F.
Jaguar Remote claims 3.77 miles per kWh, which would be 319 miles using 84.7 kWh.

But all that stop and go stuff chews up the time. Still pretty good for 'City' range. I ran it in Battery Saver mode, low regen, no creep, and was careful to limit the amount of regen and braking. This ended up being a huge loop from Riverside County (Norco), down the 91 fwy, to the 55 to Newport Beach. Took PCH up north until I wanted to shoot myself from the insane traffic, took Goldenwest east to the 405 North which became a parking lot, so I took 710 towards Pasadena, which backed up. Ended up on 60 headed East, to the 71 fwy which was finally some clear driving back into Norco. If I could have found a open freeway, I would have turned around at 45% remaining, but I got nowhere near that.

My other test failed. I installed a Dashcam/Digital Rearview Mirror. This attaches to the front of the existing mirror, and you swipe your finger to change from front to rear, or elevation of the camera view. It could be turned off to use as a standard mirror. It was functional, but the surface 'ghosts' the interior badly, you see both the interior of the vehicle and the digital image at near equal intensity. I loved how much area I could see behind me, but the reflection was really bad. It also has the Pulse Width Modulation effect on some headlights, it makes them appear to flicker.

I might play with it some more. The recording feature was enough to keep it and possibly customize it.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 PM

That's some nice click bait you posted, McRat! Glad to hear what's theoretically possible, even if unrealistic. With recent 'uncompromised' speed (75-80 mph) open highway travel, in Comfort mode with typical radio, HVAC, and seat warmer use (yeah, I like it even in 70-degree FL weather), oh-and iPhone charging as I'm accustomed to doing, I'm seeing range dip in mid- high-180s, or about a 20% drop from 'advertised' figure. Again, I'm pushing it on speed (plenty of time spent at 75+) not 'trying' to achieve anything (good or bad), just seeing what normal driving behavior and settings will achieve. SFLGator and Electro previously reported seeing highway range in the 190s, presumably without seat warmers/device charging, so pretty consistent with my results. Anyone else seeing better or worse under long and normal speed (75+mph) open highway mileage? Next long (100+mi) trip I might try optimizing (Eco mode, no HVAC or seat warmers, no charging devices, regen OFF (vs. low) etc.) to see what's possible in more efficient (but not hypermiling) long haul conditions.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

My goal was to go 2 hours out (110-130 miles), then return and get a feel for how much I could stretch the range if necessary. Saturday I could not hit 75 unless I drove in the emergency lane. Even the HOV lanes were backed up.

All I learned was SoCal is getting worse, not better, there are more cars than Sacramento realizes, and the digital rearview wasn't to my liking. 720P is enough resolution, but the screen was too reflective.

Perhaps the only real direction to go to get a bearing on range is north on I-15 towards Las Vegas, but it has two steep grades over 4,000ft gain, and very little in the way of a backup plan once I pass Baker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Central California would be a better place to test. Or Florida, or virtually anywhere other than SoCal in 2019.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Garage
I made the unfortunately mistake of driving through LA the Wednesday before Christmas. It has gotten so unbelievably bad.

At the turn of the century I lived in Huntington Beach but worked in Santa Monica. On a normal day the commute was ~1.5 hours. On the few occasions where I had to make the trip in the middle of the night I could do it in 35 minutes. On this trip I literally did the same commute (drove by the old office for nostalgia, then went by the old house), while actually starting early (at 3pm instead of 5:30pm). It took almost 3 hours to make that drive, and that was with Waze helping. The best I had in the past was calling my girlfriend and asking her to check the CalTrans site to see where the accidents were.

Some of my friends in Arizona or here in the Bay Area complain about the local traffic, and yes it is frustrating, but it is nothing compared to LA. I don't know how people are able to do that commute anymore and still have any semblance of sanity or personal life left.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Bay Area traffic has gotten pretty awful. LA is worse. At my average pace, with no traffic, I make it to work in 17 minutes. In a sports car on a dry day, I can make it in 14-15. However, with traffic, my wife's commute on mostly the same route is normally 45 minutes. Fortunately I don't commute during traffic hours.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 AM

I, too, spent the last decade of the 20th century living in LA. My 16mi commute from Manhattan Beach to Santa Monica was 20 min at 6am, but was typically 1 hour at 6pm. I also made the mistake of visiting LA with family last year, only to experience firsthand the over-development of the West Side and a 90 min drive from Santa Monica Pier to the Chart House in Redondo. Unbelievable and just unlivable. Traffic was of the top reasons I left that left coast for the left coast of Florida, and that was almost 20 years ago!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:44 AM

Just to get this back on topic, I showed clients a bunch of homes up in the foothills outside of Denver today in the Golden area. The total drive was around 73 miles with probably a change in elevation of probably about 2k - 5280 to over 7k. A good amount of time was spent on weird single track winding roads to get to some of these strange homes with very steep hills.

The car says I used about 40% of the battery for the journey. The guessometer says I have about 130 miles left.

The weather was anywhere from 40-55 degrees and I had 2 passengers and we drove wit the A/C on.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:55 AM

So 60% equals 130 miles
130/0.6 = 217 mile range
in thin air
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 AM

Is that good or bad? My average speed says about 25mph

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page