Drove the I-Pace Today - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Drove the I-Pace Today

I drove 80 miles to the nearest Jaguar dealership to drive the I-Pace HSE. I’ve got a Tesla Model X, so I wanted to compare the two vehicles.

The Jaguar definitely seemed to handle and ride better than the Model X. The X is larger and higher, and has a rougher ride. The interior of the Jaguar was finished nicely and more conventional. I liked the surround view cameras.

I’ve been driving the Tesla for over two years, and like my big center display. The visibility in the Tesla is superior and I normally keep my rear camera always displayed. The biggest benefit is the Tesla supercharger network. On my return trip home, I stopped at a supercharger for 30 minutes and went for a brisk walk.

I’ve got a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Would I be able to use it for the Jaguar? The salesman said that the Chargepoint solution costs about $1,500.

I’ve got to decide if the Jaguar will work for me.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:22 PM

Yes the 14-50 will charge the I-Pace at the full 7 kW rate. Clipper Creek is $600 plug and play. Model HCS-40.
Actually with an adapter you can use your existing Tesla wall charger. $239 from Quick Charge Power

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm
McRat and NerdUno like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
I’ve got a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Would I be able to use it for the Jaguar? The salesman said that the Chargepoint solution costs about $1,500.

I’ve got to decide if the Jaguar will work for me.
You can buy an adapter and use your Tesla home charger if you have one. Otherwise you have a lot of choices & none of them come close to $1500.

The plug in ChargePoint is $699 on Amazon right now, but they seem to go on sale frequently.
McRat and fedorachef like this.

Photon Red FE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:59 PM

$1500 only if you need extensive electrical work or a long run to plug location. Cost me only half that. I bought the ChargePoint Home 25 (plug in version) for $559 (sorry, post-holidays its now $699) after having a NEMA 6-50 outlet dropped (right below my panels in the garage - see pic) for about $200. I installed (hung on the wall with 3 screws, really) the ChargePoint box myself in about 20 min and just plugged into the NEMA 6-50 outlet. Very easy. I'm pretty sure you could use a converter or have the outlet changed from NEMA 14-50 to the NEMA 6-50 plug as both are similarly rated for 50A, but the 6-50 doesn't use the neutral wire found on the fourth pin of the 14-50. (I'm NOT an electrician, so please verify with someone qualified )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	973  

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
You can buy an adapter and use your Tesla home charger if you have one. Otherwise you have a lot of choices & none of them come close to $1500.

The plug in ChargePoint is $699 on Amazon right now, but they seem to go on sale frequently.
The cost really depends on features that you want. I purchased a Mustart 40amp on Amazon for $399. Should have bought the 32amp since I-pace tops out at around 7kW. Also had 14-50 connector installed for $50 labor + parts. If you want WiFi connection to your EVSE, youíll pay more. The Mustart is basic charge only, so I manage through the car or InContol app.

ChargePoint will have deals if you look around. JuiceBox on Amazon is $579 with WiFi.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:29 PM

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Iíve been driving the Tesla for over two years, and like my big center display. The visibility in the Tesla is superior and I normally keep my rear camera always displayed. The biggest benefit is the Tesla supercharger network. On my return trip home, I stopped at a supercharger for 30 minutes and went for a brisk walk.
Do you mean visibility as in looking all around, or visibility as in the big rear view display?

I find that, for driving, having the video on the display down there is a dangerous distraction. You want your eyes up, not down. That said, I liked having the rear view camera in my truck. It let me check the load, which the mirror wouldn't show.

In terms of other visibility, the ipace has cameras on the sides of the front and rear. When you back out of a space, you can set the rear side cameras to show you what's out there. You can do the same with the front end. It's a great safety feature, especially at our house.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:07 AM

I'm so used to driving cars with poor visibility including no back window, only the digital rearview tech seems to help. Neither JLR or Tesla has bothered with this tech, which allows you to see through the headrests, pillars, passengers, and cargo. Side mirrors are good on EV400, with good blind spot warning and lane change danger physical warning system (pulls the wheel).

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I'm so used to driving cars with poor visibility including no back window, only the digital rearview tech seems to help. Neither JLR or Tesla has bothered with this tech, which allows you to see through the headrests, pillars, passengers, and cargo. Side mirrors are good on EV400, with good blind spot warning and lane change danger physical warning system (pulls the wheel).
@McRat Have you tested any aftermarket Digital Rear View systems, and if so do you have any recommendations for installing one in the Ipace? I love the idea.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I drove 80 miles to the nearest Jaguar dealership to drive the I-Pace HSE. Iíve got a Tesla Model X, so I wanted to compare the two vehicles.

The Jaguar definitely seemed to handle and ride better than the Model X. The X is larger and higher, and has a rougher ride. The interior of the Jaguar was finished nicely and more conventional. I liked the surround view cameras.

Iíve been driving the Tesla for over two years, and like my big center display. The visibility in the Tesla is superior and I normally keep my rear camera always displayed. The biggest benefit is the Tesla supercharger network. On my return trip home, I stopped at a supercharger for 30 minutes and went for a brisk walk.

Iíve got a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Would I be able to use it for the Jaguar? The salesman said that the Chargepoint solution costs about $1,500.

Iíve got to decide if the Jaguar will work for me.
I had a 2016 Model X 90D and traded for the I-Pace. Couple things I miss about the Tesla, but overall I prefer the Jag. I do miss the large view for the rear camera. I used it 24/7 until they rolled out v9 software; I hardly ever had to use my rear view mirror. I've heard JLR doesn't allow the rear camera to be on all the time because of distraction, but I know that's not true. It helps significantly as you know.

I don't get as much range on the I-Pace; the MX is more efficient. I'm getting around 190 miles real world range per charge. There's a lot of discussion on range in the forum and you'll see different numbers from different drivers. I bought the Chargepoint charger from amazon on sale w/ 25' cord for $600 and installed everything myself. Maybe $1500 includes installation, but that sounds high to me. One of the first things my friends and family notice on the I-Pace was much better ride and sound installation. It's awesome to drive and build quality is far above Tesla IMO.
NerdUno and epirali like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page