Just got my I-Pace - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsatish View Post
Another cool things that I noticed:

If you put car in park, and click button to unlock seatbelt, car will turn off....
Yeah, that sounds like a really stupid feature. I unfasten my seatbelt to reach my wallet in the drive thru window, and the car turns itself off. What genius thought that was a good idea?
sciencegeek and dtgsrq like this.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Re-print for information: Manually set parking brake, push N for neutral, exit car. Car will stay ON.

I had to do this when I was trying to collect 'trip data' as a 1-piece chunk of info or it would break it into two trips, which were unequal (altitude change).
phil and dtgsrq like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Re-print for information: Manually set parking brake, push N for neutral, exit car. Car will stay ON.

I had to do this when I was trying to collect 'trip data' as a 1-piece chunk of info or it would break it into two trips, which were unequal (altitude change).
Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsatish View Post
Another cool things that I noticed:

If you put car in park, and click button to unlock seatbelt, car will turn off....

I'm on the fence whether I like that or not... but either way I think it should be configurable. Maybe in a future update.
I do like that once parked I can hit OFF button and it immediately shifts to park, so I use that method rather than press park, press off.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Probably a safety feature. In my Ram, if I open the door, the car shifts into park. Remember the guy from Star Trek who got himself run over?
epirali likes this.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Yeah, that sounds like a really stupid feature. I unfasten my seatbelt to reach my wallet in the drive thru window, and the car turns itself off. What genius thought that was a good idea?
Their gas cars do that as well. It's a safety feature to prevent you from letting your car roll away. Probably makes even more sense on a silent EV.
phil and epirali like this.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Their gas cars do that as well. It's a safety feature to prevent you from letting your car roll away. Probably makes even more sense on a silent EV.
Yes, clearly it is intended as a safety feature. My point is that is a stupid one. The Bolt has a comparable though different 'safety' feature - one-pedal driving is disabled when driver seatbelt is not fastened - i.e. the car creeps instead of stopping as the driver expects it to. In my experience, it is the Bolt's worst feature.

Such weird behaviors are too clever by half. By programming cars to behave in unexpected ways, the manufacturers risk confusing the operator and decreasing safety rather than increasing it. Cars are not expected to turn themselves off when seatbelts are unfastened, Jaguar's lawyers notwithstanding.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Yes, clearly it is intended as a safety feature. My point is that is a stupid one. The Bolt has a comparable though different 'safety' feature - one-pedal driving is disabled when driver seatbelt is not fastened - i.e. the car creeps instead of stopping as the driver expects it to. In my experience, it is the Bolt's worst feature.

Such weird behaviors are too clever by half. By programming cars to behave in unexpected ways, the manufacturers risk confusing the operator and decreasing safety rather than increasing it. Cars are not expected to turn themselves off when seatbelts are unfastened, Jaguar's lawyers notwithstanding.
Wait. I have never been in a gas car that if it is in Park and you disconnect the seat belt it shuts off. So why should an electric. It provides no more safety if the car is in Park to begin with. I am fine with it shutting off if you forget to put it into Park. BUT if you purposely put it into Park, the car should stay running, for everyone else in the car who wants infotainment, radio, wifi, etc just because you get out to check something. ESPECIALLY since we are all "slow booting" right now, it is REALLY annoying.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post

Wait. I have never been in a gas car that if it is in Park and you disconnect the seat belt it shuts off. So why should an electric. It provides no more safety if the car is in Park to begin with. I am fine with it shutting off if you forget to put it into Park. BUT if you purposely put it into Park, the car should stay running, for everyone else in the car who wants infotainment, radio, wifi, etc just because you get out to check something. ESPECIALLY since we are all "slow booting" right now, it is REALLY annoying.
Yes, very annoying. Putting it in N and putting on the parking brake helps some, but then you cannot lock the car or open the tailgate (except with the dash button).

In the meantime, I would skip the whole slow boot thing. Just get in and drive. The number of times that has caused any issues with me in over 2700 miles is very few and have self resolved without problems
PGhiron and dtgsrq like this.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post
Don’t know about I Pace yet it all my other EVs will shut down drivetrain but NOT infotainment or climate in this case. I believe it is partly because without an engine noise a lot of people may leave their cars in the ready state. The only exception to this I have seen was the Leaf, and my wife definitely left it on overnight a couple of times.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page