• 1 Post By NerdUno
  • 1 Post By Joshuableu
  • 2 Post By NerdUno
  • 1 Post By Dantrium
  • 2 Post By epirali

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Steering Assist - How does it work?

First a little humor - I had no fewer than 4 Jaguar employees tell me Steering Assist was not available on the i-Pace. Then I showed them.

OK, it's not perfect, but it does make the drive more relaxing. Every 20 seconds it checks your hands. But I find it will give me false 'Put Hands On Wheel' warnings sometimes, even when my hands are at 10 and 2 like their display shows. I did a little experiment, and grabbed the wheel at 6 o'clock, and tugged on the wheel, left and right every 3-5 seconds. This will not do.

So I don't think the system is feedback torque like Tesla (or the LKA on GM products). Or at least not completely feedback. I think it's looking at something.

Anybody know? What do you think of the autosteering?

(For those who haven't used it - First get up to desired speed, then push up on right side steering wheel toggle lever to set Adaptive Cruise Control speed. Release accelerator pedal. Now to the lower right of the toggle lever is a button that looks like a roadway (inverted V shape of dashed lines). Push that and it will light orange. Now autosteering is activated. On your dashboard (or your HUD also if selected 'Driving Assistance' as display mode), you will see a steering wheel and roadway icon. When both dashed lines are green and the wheel is green, the autosteering is active. Do not release your hands from the wheel until you are used to it.)

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 AM

It's not as good as the latest Tesla iteration of "AutoPilot" but it's pretty good on well-marked roads. Appears to be using Mobileye just like the other car manufacturers. Our only complaint is that, unlike the Nissan implementation, there is no audible alert when LKA turns on or off which is more than a little disconcerting when you think LKA is on, and it isn't.
McRat likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Nyland has a great video on the steering assist. It's not torque, it's sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 PM

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/19...html#post15625

Capacitive touch sensors, not torque sensors. But apparently the sensors are only at 10 and 2. I suppose that should be ok for me, so long as one hand at 10 is accepted - if they make me use two hands, I'm out!

Last edited by phil; 12-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:02 PM

I wrote the post on the capacative sensors being at "10 and 2" based on my reading and a conversation with a JLR engineer. However during my test drive of about 40 minutes I may have proven that wrong. During my test drive when the LKA was engaged and I had my hands off the steering wheel for a period of time the warning message appeared. I did not 'torque' the wheel (Tesla method of determining hands on wheel) but only touched it slightly about the 7 o'clock position and the warning went away. I don't have my vehicle yet so those who have already taken delivery can better give insights into exactly where the sensors are located in the wheel. I would make the 100% assumption there are capacative sensors but they are most likely more than just at "10 and 2."
phil likes this.

Porsche Macan GTS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM

I never drive with hands at 10 and 2. Always at 7. Only had an alert about twice in 600+ miles, and I use LKA all the time.
phil and sciencegeek like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuableu View Post
I wrote the post on the capacative sensors being at "10 and 2" based on my reading and a conversation with a JLR engineer. However during my test drive of about 40 minutes I may have proven that wrong. During my test drive when the LKA was engaged and I had my hands off the steering wheel for a period of time the warning message appeared. I did not 'torque' the wheel (Tesla method of determining hands on wheel) but only touched it slightly about the 7 o'clock position and the warning went away. I don't have my vehicle yet so those who have already taken delivery can better give insights into exactly where the sensors are located in the wheel. I would make the 100% assumption there are capacative sensors but they are most likely more than just at "10 and 2."
I could cancel the warning by touching the wheel just about anywhere, but generally required a relatively strong touch.
phil likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Neither here nor there but the "correct" driving hand position has been 3 and 9 for a while....

McRat and phil like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

You can drive with one hand. No hands is limited to 20 seconds. I don't think it changes with speed. Or I didn't measure it. Wifey used a stopwatch while I did Jazz Hands on the freeway.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page