Autobahn Test: Jaguar I-PACE vs. Tesla Model X - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Autobahn Test: Jaguar I-PACE vs. Tesla Model X

German electric car rental company www.nextmove.de did a test drive with the Jaguar I-PACE and the Tesla Model X on the German Autobahn. The video has English subtitles and several charts.

They are testing the long range capability of the Jaguar and compare it directly with the Tesla Model X. Also they compare the charging speed at one of the fastest CCS charging stations in Germany at Porsche in Berlin.

stromer is offline  
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks for posting this video. Always good to see a head-to-head but I think the most interesting things to come out of these are (1) why doesn't the I-pace ever achieve 100kw charging as advertised? Seems it has a 200A limit and there's rumours of it being lifted but so far nothing (2) I-pace seems considerably thirstier than MX and that likely comes down to its CD being .5 higher but its so much better looking than the MX its no contest for me.

I'd much rather see some real world regular driving which is what Jaguar have tried to do with their marketing drives. I think few countries have autobahns and speed limits allowing >120kph let alone for hours on end. I get this important in Germany etc but would be nice to see more balance which would represent most of the world.

On order: MY19 I-Pace 1st Edition - Corus Grey - Light Oyster
Previous: BMW i3 Rex - Lorus Grey - Loft - Harmon Kardon
Oz-ipace is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Guy
Senior Member
 
Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 146
Right now the I-Pace is limited to 80kw charging speed. 100 will come later with a SW change.
Guy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Right now the I-Pace is limited to 80kw charging speed. 100 will come later with a SW change.
I thought it was limited to 100kw right now and 110-120 will come later with a SW change?

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
Pseudonym is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-ipace View Post
Thanks for posting this video. Always good to see a head-to-head but I think the most interesting things to come out of these are (1) why doesn't the I-pace ever achieve 100kw charging as advertised? Seems it has a 200A limit and there's rumours of it being lifted but so far nothing (2) I-pace seems considerably thirstier than MX and that likely comes down to its CD being .5 higher but its so much better looking than the MX its no contest for me.

I'd much rather see some real world regular driving which is what Jaguar have tried to do with their marketing drives. I think few countries have autobahns and speed limits allowing >120kph let alone for hours on end. I get this important in Germany etc but would be nice to see more balance which would represent most of the world.
the charging station had a 200A limit, not the jag. notice the bars.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
Pseudonym is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
the charging station had a 200A limit, not the jag. notice the bars.
OK excuse my ignorance as I have actually never used a public charger after owning an i3 for 3.5yrs! I guess we'll need apps that advise such limits so you can preference sites that deliver the best possible charge. I guess it depends on the car to some extent (pack voltage etc) but hard limits should be clearly shown. Also I never see Jaguar people responding to any posts....

On order: MY19 I-Pace 1st Edition - Corus Grey - Light Oyster
Previous: BMW i3 Rex - Lorus Grey - Loft - Harmon Kardon
Oz-ipace is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
sciencegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 1,007
On Nyland's trip to Germany the Ionity charger also capped at 400V and 200Amp = 80kW

I don't care about 40 miles more or less range or whatever. I want an awesome car on a daily basis. These guys acknowledged that with their final comment: "Ansonsten: Schnes Auto".
sflgator and WattAJag like this.
sciencegeek is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I thought it was limited to 100kw right now and 110-120 will come later with a SW change?
It turns out, it's restricted to 84kW right now, and 100kW won't be unlocked until sometime before US customer deliveries start in a few weeks' time.

The onboard hardware can do 110-120kw (I calculate 117kW) and so it should be unlocked at some future point.
Riggald is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
McRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Norco, California, USA
Posts: 1,304
The i-Pace is not a 96s pack like most EVs, it's a 108s which will read just over 450vdc when fully charged, not 400vdc like other cars. Higher voltage stations might yield better results, or stations with updated firmware.

Nyland's screen shot indicates the battery is not actually 454 vdc, which would normally be full for a LG Chem automotive cell.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 10-14-2018 at 01:44 PM.
McRat is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
sciencegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The i-Pace is not a 96s pack like most EVs, it's a 108s which will read just over 450vdc when fully charged, not 400vdc like other cars. Higher voltage stations might yield better results, or stations with updated firmware.

Nyland's screen shot indicates the battery is not actually 454 vdc, which would normally be full for a LG Chem automotive cell.
Isn't it just capped by software?
sciencegeek is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tesla Model S owner looking for insights on I-Pace and Jaguar. Manny13z Jaguar I-Pace Features and Equipment 23 12-04-2018 11:27 AM
Jaguar I-Pace Wil Give Tesla Something To Worry About Jaguar I-Pace News 2018+ Jaguar I-Pace EV 400 News 5 11-19-2018 11:37 PM
Jaguar? Save me!! Tesla Model 3 gets another delay. McRat 2018+ Jaguar I-Pace EV 400 General Discussion 10 07-03-2018 02:55 PM
I Pace vs Tesla X Model X- Drag Race ChargedUp Jaguar I-Pace EV 400 Photos and Videos 0 03-19-2018 02:25 PM
Jaguar has Tesla in Sights I-Sprint Jaguar I-Pace EV Versus The Competition 21 07-27-2017 11:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome