Sudden Uninteded Acceleration - I Pace - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Sudden Uninteded Acceleration - I Pace

I have a 2019 I Pace and I have had three separate incidents of sudden unintended acceleration days (or weeks) apart in different environments, circumstances, and drivers (my wife and I both).

Has anyone else experienced sudden unintended acceleration with their I Pace?

Thank you.
Lulu likes this.
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Was this while you had adaptive cruise control on, you were following a car but below your set point, and when you changed lanes it accelerated? That would be normal behavior. Perhaps there are other regimes where it accelerates unexpectedly when you have cruise control set. Without cruise control I'd be hard pressed to explain this in any way other than a bug or defective hardware.

Welcome, by the way!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
I have a 2019 I Pace and I have had three separate incidents of sudden unintended acceleration days (or weeks) apart in different environments, circumstances, and drivers (my wife and I both).

Thank you.
Sorry to hear that. You should log it. I never had this issue , I called two other ipace owners as well, they said no. but it seems many people have this issue with tesla. There is an investigation going on regarding this with tesla.

Narvik Black HSE, all options including carbon fiber.

Last edited by SeanM1; 01-23-2020 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:42 AM

With cruise control on, following, and a car gets out of the way or I change lanes, I forget I had cruise on at a high speed and it accelerates.
That's it. User error.
Deutsch100 likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 AM

Never had anything like this, cruise control and manual. So this sounds very strange indeed.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post

Thank you.
One person posted an issue with sudden accelleration in Reverse, but not forward.
Others have reported delayed response and sudden acceleration when using adaptive cruise control. So it would be good to know if you are using Creep, if you are using Cruise, and other preferences. Things your service department will want anyway.

You should report it. Every major car MFG has had reports of sudden acceleration for a few cars and others where there is a need for a recall. This doesn't seem like recall territory.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 AM

There were a few reports of sudden acceleration in this forum under "sudden accelatation in reverse". No follow up details were ever given by 2 of the posters and it was their only post on this forum. Makes me wonder how credible these reports are. Funny how these show up when Tesla is being investigated for this - which by the way is being "driven" by a Tesla short seller who doesn't actually own a Tesla.

I haven't had a problem with any unintended acceleration in my Ipace. By far the majority of these cases are user error - driver hit the gas thinking they were on the brake. It would be nice to get further details from anyone who has experienced this - highway speeds, stopped, had you just started the car? Did you just change gears? Where were your feet?

If this happened to me and I was sure it wasn't driver error, I would absolutely not drive the car and take it in for service. I would also want to see telemetry reports from the car.
epirali and Jtdavi3 like this.

2020 Silicon Silver HSE
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:26 AM

If the stories are real, almost certainly user error (this is true for the Teslas also, btw - I'm not convinced it's being "driven by shorts" but this has been investigate in the past with no findings).
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:25 PM

I've had the opposite problem of sudden deceleration while using adaptive cruise control. If a car in front of me changes out of my lane and then slows down the I-Pace will continue to track the vehicle and decelerate. I've had this happen on both highway and city streets. I've come close to being rear ended as the driver following me is completely surprised.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings2 View Post
I've had the opposite problem of sudden deceleration while using adaptive cruise control. If a car in front of me changes out of my lane and then slows down the I-Pace will continue to track the vehicle and decelerate. I've had this happen on both highway and city streets. I've come close to being rear ended as the driver following me is completely surprised.
Never had this happen to me yet but I could believe this happening. I actually rarely use min. Smart software is not that smart yet. There are reports of Teslas slowing down going under bridges/underpasses - suspect the software is interpreting shadows as a slowed car or stationary object. Autopilot is not yet ready for primetime in my opinion.

2020 Silicon Silver HSE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page