Is the steer assist and adaptive dynamics worth it? - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:46 PM

For chargers, I like the JuiceBox 32a or 40a Pro versions.
I might have an unused (but tested) Tesla Model 3 UMC with multiple pigtails (14-50, 5-15, ??-30,) and a J1772 adapter. 32 amps charging rate, fits in your Frunk with room to spare.
Ipacer likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug View Post
Assuming you mean 14-50, not 16-50. If so, I do like the JuiceBox Pro 40A I have. My one complaint is the charging cable is very think and not very pliable. If I were doing it again I would probably get a 30A charger instead.
Yes, 14-50. Thanks.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug View Post
Assuming you mean 14-50, not 16-50. If so, I do like the JuiceBox Pro 40A I have. My one complaint is the charging cable is very think and not very pliable. If I were doing it again I would probably get a 30A charger instead.
The JuiceBox cable is ridiculously thick and heavy. That is what I bought and I wouldn’t buy another. The first one died after 4 months of use. They replaced it under warranty, but it took over a week for them to ship out the replacement. I used the ‘new’ one for ~3 months, then it sat unused for ~3 months until I sold it. The person who bought it from me reported that it died within 6 weeks of her install...

If I were to buy another BEV, I would buy a less expensive, smaller EVSE, such as a Mustart
Sbingham60 and Ipacer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:24 PM

I've had no issues with the Juicebox 40A Pro.
You might consider the Chargepoint Home Flex too.
They have nearly identical features.
McRat and Ipacer like this.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 11:47 AM

My Bosch is 6 years old no problems. Mounted outside.
My Clipper Creek is over 5 years, inside.
My JuiceBox 40a (Gen1) is 5 years, portable.
My JuiceBox 32a Pro (Gen2) is a year old, inside.

I've never had an EVSE break, neither OEM or aftermarket. I guess I'm lucky. The Jaguar is my 5th plugin since the 2013 MY Chevy Volt, and we normally have 3-4 plugins, hence the need for lots of EVSEs, since I charge cars at work too.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
The JuiceBox cable is ridiculously thick and heavy. That is what I bought and I wouldn’t buy another. The first one died after 4 months of use. They replaced it under warranty, but it took over a week for them to ship out the replacement. I used the ‘new’ one for ~3 months, then it sat unused for ~3 months until I sold it. The person who bought it from me reported that it died within 6 weeks of her install...

If I were to buy another BEV, I would buy a less expensive, smaller EVSE, such as a Mustart
I would agree with the Crazy Thick comment on the JB. But it's ability to be operated by cellphone and storage of charging curves is handy (Pro model). Haven't broken them though.

IMO, the most portable universal solution is the Tesla UMC with a TeslaTap. The only thing I don't like is that it get warm/hot to the touch. But with multiple pigtails, and small form factor, it's very easy to stow. Honorable mention is the GM OEM charger from 2016+. It will charge at both 120 and 240v even though it's not documented. It's a Clipper Creek product.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I would agree with the Crazy Thick comment on the JB. But it's ability to be operated by cellphone and storage of charging curves is handy (Pro model). Haven't broken them though.
I had the JB40Pro. I plugged in my car every day. Then one day it just wouldn’t work. The JB support people seemed to know exactly what was wrong when I explained what lights were blinking and in what sequence. my phone call lasted less than 5 minutes. I then had to give them a $300 deposit and they shipped a new unit, but it took over a week.

It sounds like the new one died in the exact same fashion. The lady who bought it told me she has found a lot of the same complaint online. My original one had a September 2018 build date. The replacement had a March 2019 build date
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 01:07 PM

I can definitely tell a difference between dynamic and regular mode with adaptive dynamics, but it's not a dramatic difference. Tighter. Less body roll. It would probably matter more at a track. The car slams over speed bumps no matter the suspension setting.

LKA is great. I use it on the freeway all the time. It lowers cognitive load when driving. I still have to drive. It's just easier. I don't so much notice when it turns off since I'm going to steer anyway. It just helps me when it's on, and doesn't help me when it's off. I do not let it drive for me since it cannot do that. Plus the car begs to pass slower folk.

I struggle with the idea of buying a luxury car without all the features. Why bother?

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 06:55 PM

While I find ACC a wonderful addition for freeway driving, especially when traffic flow is irregular, the steering assist is a different beast. On long freeway drives I found that steering assist seems to be less taxing on the shoulders, but initially (and even now occasionally) I found I was fighting the steering assist regarding lane positioning. When driving through construction zones with no shoulder I prefer (instinctively) to edge a little further away from the edge of the lane, while the steering assist wants me to stay in the center of the lane. Probably safer, but can be annoying until you get used to it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page