Current Tesla owner, having a look around... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Current Tesla owner, having a look around...

Hello!


We purchased a CPO 2013 Tesla a little over three years ago. The 50K bumper-bumper warranty is nearing its end, but we still have 5 years left on the battery and drive-train, both of which are unlimited miles. It's been in the shop going on three times in the past few months. First the drive train started emitting a 'clunk' upon accelerating and again when letting off. Tesla tightened a few thinks while stating it was normal behavior. A few weeks ago the entire driver side lost power. Doors wouldn't open, windows would roll down. Got it fixed but immediately noticed more noise in the cabin at 40+mph. Looks like they messed up a seal when putting the door back together so I've made another appointment. With 2K miles left on my warranty, I am a bit scared it's going to start nickle & diming me.


Which leads me to this forum! I really like the sportiness of the Tesla and already have an SUV, so want to stick with something fun to drive. All reviews I've seen point to the I-Pace. The E-Tron is super nice on the inside, but everyone other house on our block has an Audi SUV. We don't have kids, so no soccer practices to attend! The Merc EQC has a fantastic interior, but looks pretty boring on the outside. Can't afford a Taycan, but am holding out hope the E-Tron GT will be under 100K.



One of my most sought options on the I-Pace is the Premium Textile interior as we do our best to avoid leather products. There is very little info on this interior though and every dealer I've talked to has never seen it. I've gleamed a bit from a few photos and videos online but they are all the 2019 MY. In the Jaguar configurator, it shows the 2020 MY version to be mostly black. I really like the two-tone, so I'm hoping its just a limitation of the software.


I'll be test driving one soon but will probably wait until this summer to decide on ordering one, or maybe waiting for the GT. Unless of course the Tesla craps out completely
x43x is offline  
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
One of my most sought options on the I-Pace is the Premium Textile interior as we do our best to avoid leather products. There is very little info on this interior though and every dealer I've talked to has never seen it. I've gleamed a bit from a few photos and videos online but they are all the 2019 MY. In the Jaguar configurator, it shows the 2020 MY version to be mostly black. I really like the two-tone, so I'm hoping its just a limitation of the software.
It is the same textile they put in the Evoque. So while they may not have seen it in the IPace, surely they have at least one Evoque in stock with textile.

With up to $15k off MSRP and the $7500 tax credit, I doubt there will be a better time to jump into the I-Pace pool

Last edited by Dantrium; 11-08-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Dantrium is online now  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
It is the same textile they put in the Evoque. So while they may not have seen it in the IPace, surely they have at least one Evoque in stock with textile.

With up to $15k off MSRP and the $7500 tax credit, I doubt there will be a better time to jump into the I-Pace pool

I would have to order one, and I'm not sure there will be much negotiation for price. I'll press the matter though after our test drive.
x43x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Coral Gables, FL and Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
I would have to order one, and I'm not sure there will be much negotiation for price. I'll press the matter though after our test drive.
I am not certain about that. If there is one equipped as you want it anywhere in the country you might well be able to make a good deal. It's definitely a buyers market. I am in teh midst of buying one myself, and as a multi-Tesla owner the dealer obviously is desperate to make a sale to a Tesla owner. I am doing this in Brazil where teslas are not sold, but because I have one in the US and they have photos the salesman admitted he gets a "big bonus" for bagging a Tesla owner. Were a Tesla available I'd buy it, but there aren't. Ordinarily dealers here do not negotiate but they are doing it with me.

I now have a fair among of I-Pace experience. I do enjoy it, my family members more than I. It fits our needs perfectly.
jbcarioca is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcarioca View Post
I am not certain about that. If there is one equipped as you want it anywhere in the country you might well be able to make a good deal.
The problem with wanting the textile interior is no one has one. I built one over the phone with my local dealer and his computer said there were zero already made with the options I wanted

Here is what I'm looking for: https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/...hortened%20URL
x43x is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
 
jsimon7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 747
Probably have to custom order to get that interior. Americans want leather.

As for the Tesla nickeling and diming, it will be much worse than that if your car has issues. The good news is they cover the big stuff. The bad news is that everything else is insanely expensive, and they often stop making old parts. A guy I know has a P85, #1600 or so. Had it since new, with 120k miles on it. It just had the motor replaced for free, but his panoramic roof needs replacing. They don't have parts, so they have to retrofit to a newer version, and that's $7000! Ridiculous.

So Tesla, for all their strengths, is not a car company you want to deal with out of warranty.
dtgsrq likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
jsimon7777 is online now  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Coral Gables, FL and Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Probably have to custom order to get that interior. Americans want leather.

As for the Tesla nickeling and diming, it will be much worse than that if your car has issues. The good news is they cover the big stuff. The bad news is that everything else is insanely expensive, and they often stop making old parts. A guy I know has a P85, #1600 or so. Had it since new, with 120k miles on it. It just had the motor replaced for free, but his panoramic roof needs replacing. They don't have parts, so they have to retrofit to a newer version, and that's $7000! Ridiculous.

So Tesla, for all their strengths, is not a car company you want to deal with out of warranty.
That is why I bought their extended warranty when I bought a 2014 Model S. As it happened the car had zero defects, ever. I conclude, as usual, that an extended warranty is a good idea so that you never need to claim it.
Tesla repairs actually are not more expensive than they are for other similarly-priced vehicles. My examples: Porsche 964 front gearbox replacement in 199, two months out of warranty. $9600. BMW M3 automatic transmission failure only a week after warranty end, $8000. Neither case was done on goodwill despite their almost, but nto quite. My personal worst was a Jaguar XK8 that had a tire foreign object damage as I was leaving the dealership. It actually happened on dealership roperty. No matter, FOD not covered so $385.At least it only took an hour. FWIW, the only problem taht car ever had after was cracked windshield and that was coverd by warranty.

The point is that expensive vehicles are expensive to repair. It really does not matter what brand.

My exception: changing a clutch on a vintage Ferrari 308GT4. Don't even think about that one. Fixing an airpalne might be cheaper.
jbcarioca is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
The problem with wanting the textile interior is no one has one. I built one over the phone with my local dealer and his computer said there were zero already made with the options I wanted

Here is what I'm looking for: https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/...hortened%20URL
I considered an Evoque (or maybe it was a Velar?) with the Dapple Grey textile. It was actually really nice. Now that every other car has leather or leather like seats, it stands out and seems a bit more 'classy' in a way. Good luck on your quest to find something that fits your needs.
Dantrium is online now  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 104
I always ask if I would buy these cars if they had an ICE drive train.
Ive driven the E-Tron a few times and it's not only a very boring car, but I need to look at the badge to see if its just another Q series.
Would I pay $90k for a Q7? Absolutely not

EQC is nice, but looks like l like a soccer mom car.

I Pace is gorgeous and unique no matter what the drive train. To me it's much more exotic than a Audi Urus
And after I drove it a couple of times, I really fell in love.
sciencegeek likes this.
PS702 is online now  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS702 View Post
I Pace is gorgeous and unique no matter what the drive train. To me it's much more exotic than a Audi Urus
Freudian slip?
dennis is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome