It's here! Seattle, WA owner. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By GratedWasabi
  • 1 Post By sciencegeek

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

It's here! Seattle, WA owner.

My iPace finally arrived! I traded in my low-mileage 2016 Macan Turbo (almost fully optioned) for a new 2019 Corris Grey at a screaming bargain (14k off MSRP). You'll see me compare the two often, as I think they're the two best sporty, luxury compact SUVs available.

I will update with photos a little later.

It's funny how much different a car feels when you own it versus a test drive, at least for me. So here are my initial thoughts.

Pros;
The handling & center of gravity is night and day from the Macan. The iPace might not be a sportscar but it's worlds better than its direct small SUV competition, imo. I've also driven the Stelvio QF and think the iPace is superior in that contest as well.
The instant torque is just unbelievably satisfying, all the time.
The infotainment is so beautiful. It is a bit laggy but coming from the 2016 Macan, which had a very basic, still laggy infotainment & very low resolution, the iPace system is just stunning. The cameras are much much more usable than those on the 2016 Macan. If you think this system is poor, never, ever drive a pre-2017 Macan (ie.. the lowest res backup camera possible, glitchy parking sensors, and sometimes 5-10 minutes until your phone connects to the car).
Interior quality is just superb, except for a couple of random cheap pieces that I'll mention below.
Beautiful, stunning car. In one day I've had more stares than a year of Macan ownership.
LOVE being able to start it remotely and the app in general. Trying out Wattcat as well and so far I really like it.

Cons;
Not sure why the cup holders are so low quality and finicky. It reminds me of water bottle pouches on backpacks.. there is a simple, perfect solution but manufacturers constantly try to get too fancy and ignore the simple solution. I'm not sure if it's possible to swap these out but I might have to modify them myself.
Happy to once again have storage for sunglasses but wish it wasn't the lowest quality feeling storage bin ever. Minor nitpicks that don't really matter, just funny ways to save a few cents.
The spongey brakes are not my favorite. I've already mostly adapted and it's not a big deal but the brakes on the Macan were far more consistent.
Can the HUD size not be altered? It's too bulky for me and looks pretty low res. The Mazda I used briefly had a much nicer looking HUD.

Quirks;
After my first drive the brake pedal cover popped off. That was funny. I'm guessing they didn't put it back on fully when they detailed the car but it made me laugh.
This car screams bloody murder at you when it senses something while you're reversing. Yikes.
It showed up with 44 PSI tires and the load setting on normal, so big thank you to everyone on the forum that pointed this out. At first I thought something was wrong with the car due to horrible ride quality, then I remembered the tire pressure warning on here and sure enough that was the issue.

I'll keep updating with my thoughts!

Also worth noting; I only had a 20a breaker available and so my charger is a measly 16a ClipperCreek aka the smallest possible Level 2. Still, last night I got 5% per hour from 35% to just over 90%. So as long as you can fit even a 20a, you shouldn't have any issues.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Woohoo! Congrats!

Agree with most of your points. For some reason the brakes don't bother me at all. Do you have it on high regen / one-pedal driving? I hardly ever touch the brakes except when almost at a stop anyway.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:37 AM

Welcome from a fellow Seattle I-Pace owner. I love my First Edition I-Pace. Even the high end detail shop I used for the paint protection film and ceramic coating comment about the car and how beautiful it is whenever I have them detail it. And this place is an Aston Martin dealer as well, not to mention the array of high end vehicles they sell, Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, etc. and as GratedWasabi said the instant torque is stunning. Yesterday leaving work and entering highway 520 I was first in line at the traffic signal. When the light went green I went to about throttle. I realized as I merged with traffic nearly half a mile past the traffic signal that all the cars that were next to, and behind me, at the traffic light were just clearing the intersection, stunning performance.

It would be nice if we had enough I-Paces in the Seattle area to do some coffee & cars events.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black - Ebony/Ebony
Xpel film paint protection (front, A pillars, lower rocker panels, door edges, mirror caps and rear)
Ceramic Pro entire body, wheels and glass
Delivered 9/6/19
S19B_19.40.4-436082
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:47 AM

Congrats on joining the club! It’s nice to have another proud member in Seattle amongst the sea of Teslas.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Welcome and thanks for the great writeup!

On your comment about the brakes, the I-Pace utilizes blended braking which may explain the "spongey" feeling as you described it. During the first part of brake travel you are simply increasing the amount of regeneration occurring. As this maxes out the brake pads themselves actually engage. The transition is amazingly seamless. If you have max regeneration enabled, then you'll be doing a lot of one-pedal driving anyway and not even need the brakes that much in normal non-aggressive driving.

The HUD size cannot be altered, but its content and position can be modified (but it sounds like that is no help to you).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I have been driving with high regen on since yesterday and really enjoy it! The only downside was the 30 minutes I thought something was wrong with my car this morning before realizing the regen is altered (less significant) when the battery is at full or near full charge. Really cool how intuitive it is

The brakes aren't really an issue either way, I've yet to drive in a heavy, sporty car that didn't have braking quirks.The key to me is how they react in an emergency stop and they seem very reliable in that situation.

As for an iPace in a sea of Teslas.. absolutely! I try to make a point of parking next to them whenever possible, it just feels right.
LauderdaleFE likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedWasabi View Post
the regen is altered (less significant) when the battery is at full or near full charge
yeah and there's a little line in the dashboard display that indicates the limit; it slowly moves down as you deplete the top of the battery and disappears at ca 90% SoC (or a little earlier, I forget)
StormRune likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Which dealer did you go to? We live in Covington so will most likely hit up the Tacoma dealer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Indeed, it is difficult to not see multiple Tesla's in the Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area on any drive, or in any parking lot, even at work. Model 3 seems even more ubiquitous than a Toyota Camry in this area. So far, after two + months of ownership, and over 3500 miles I have not seen even one other I-Pace in the area. Clearly there are other I-Pace here, the dealers are selling them, but it is still very rare car in an area where it is not unusual to see a Ferrar or Aston Martini on the road on the way home from work.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black - Ebony/Ebony
Xpel film paint protection (front, A pillars, lower rocker panels, door edges, mirror caps and rear)
Ceramic Pro entire body, wheels and glass
Delivered 9/6/19
S19B_19.40.4-436082
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Which dealer did you go to? We live in Covington so will most likely hit up the Tacoma dealer.
I did multiple trips each to Lynnwood, Bellevue, Tacoma, and Portland. Honestly had mediocre experiences at all 3, save my final trip to Bellevue when I finally got a good salesperson. PM me if you'd like his name.

Portland was quite better all around and they have really good deals on their current stock. I would have purchased there except the heated windshields bothered me.

But my car was delivered from Florida.

I'm sure each dealership has one good iPace salesperson, just a matter of finding him or her.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page