So high, then so low - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

So high, then so low

I have been on such a high since coming home with my Yulong White/Dapple Grey w/Ebony 2019 SE. 30 hours and minus 200 miles later, I wanna
The charging unit that came with my stickered $86K EV is that of a 110v snail-paced home appliance electrical cord. How is that even i-pace-able? My rep tells me to order on Amazon a 50AMP Tesla to J-1772 adapter called TeslaTap so I can charge my car using the NEMA 14-50R wall outlet I've installed for my model 3. Is it just me or does Telsa triumph yet again?
Would love to hear from other owners on your experience with this TeslaTap adapter? which I am certain has been discussed at length here. I am new to this Forum, actually any automotive forum for that matter, still trying to find my way around. Many thanks in advance!
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:58 PM

Welcome, congrats on the iPace!

Yeah just order the Tesla tap. That will work well for you. I tried to do battle with my dealer over the silly 110V charger but JLR doesn't make a faster one available here in the US.

The search function on this site is crappy but if you spend a bit of time here you'll soon get the hang of it. Particularly useful is the "Active Topics" link above.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Yes, if you have the tesla charging cable, the Teslatap will attach to that and allow you to then charge using your existing setup. You will notice some differences in how they function, however. With your Tesla, if you have that car programmed to charge during specific time periods in order to take advantage of your electric company's discounted off-peak rates, when you plug into the Tesla, it knows to wait until the specified start time. With the Jaguar using the Teslatap, it will immediately begin to charge once you plug in - even if you have set the car or the app to charge only during certain time periods. If you want the Jaguar to charge only during those periods, after you plug in and it begins to charge, you must go to your app and pause it. Once paused it will then begin to charge again during the times you have programmed. You have to do this EVERY time you plug in.

If you want to avoid this, or no longer have the Tesla cable, you can get a programmable charger that WILL sync with the car and only charge during the programed time frames. I have a Juicebox Pro, but the ChargePoint system will do the same.

Another advantage of the Teslatap is that it will allow you to charge at Tesla destination chargers (but not Super Chargers).

I hope all of that was clear. Although I LOVE the Jaguar, you will find that the Tesla charging system is vastly superior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Welcome, congrats on the iPace!

Yeah just order the Tesla tap. That will work well for you. I tried to do battle with my dealer over the silly 110V charger but JLR doesn't make a faster one available here in the US.

The search function on this site is crappy but if you spend a bit of time here you'll soon get the hang of it. Particularly useful is the "Active Topics" link above.
Thanks! The Teslatap got delivered at dinner time. So thankful for NerdUno's very detailed instructions, my hubby connected the nifty adapter and has the charger going in no time.
Meanwhile my sales person, possibly guilt ridden, sent me an email with an offer to a complimentary Chargepoint 240V home EV charger with installation up to $1500 from Jaguar. Now he must have conveniently forgotten about the offer when putting together my deal. This offer apparently is from Jaguar USA and will expire at the end of this month.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Just to clarify for not-yet owners or others unfamiliar... right or wrong, JLR doesn't offer its own charging hardware. That was made pretty clear to me (and most buyers) during pre-purchase. Jaguar's preferred partner (although many others work fine as documented throughout the forum), ChargePoint, simply doesn't make a NEMA 14-50 compatible plug-in charger, they stuck with NEMA 6-50 (two very similar outlets delivering 50A). I wouldn't say "Tesla prevailed again", only that since you already own a Tesla (M3), use of the Tesla adapter is far easier than replicating your entire charging platform for the I-Pace (unless you frequently need to fully charge both cars overnight - and would need 2 separate 50A circuits). I bought the plug-in ChargePoint 25 home charger for $499 on Amazon and had a NEMA 6-50 plug installed just below my panels for $200 (see below). The solution was simple and right in line with expectations set at the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2593  
bruintoo likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Just to clarify for not-yet owners or others unfamiliar... right or wrong, JLR doesn't offer its own charging hardware. That was made pretty clear to me (and most buyers) during pre-purchase. Jaguar's preferred partner (although many others work fine as documented throughout the forum), ChargePoint, simply doesn't make a NEMA 14-50 compatible plug-in charger, they stuck with NEMA 6-50 (two very similar outlets delivering 50A). I wouldn't say "Tesla prevailed again", only that since you already own a Tesla (M3), use of the Tesla adapter is far easier than replicating your entire charging platform for the I-Pace (unless you frequently need to fully charge both cars overnight - and would need 2 separate 50A circuits). I bought the plug-in ChargePoint 25 home charger for $499 on Amazon and had a NEMA 6-50 plug installed just below my panels for $200 (see below). The solution was simple and right in line with expectations set at the dealer.
The new ChargePoint Flex can be bought with 6-50 or 14-50 ends. The JuiceBox Pro is 14-50.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
The new ChargePoint Flex can be bought with 6-50 or 14-50 ends. The JuiceBox Pro is 14-50.
I stand corrected! (gladly!) I would have bought the 14-50 (and had that one installed) as its seems more chargers are compatible with that outlet type, and it is featured at many RV parks with 220/240V service. (not that I had plans to haul around my plug-in ChargePoint equipment, but maybe for a road trip??)

Last edited by dtgsrq; 09-26-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:29 AM

I googled NEMA 6-50 vs. 14-50 to re-familiarize myself and found this useful comparison:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...a-6-50.151473/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
I stand corrected! (gladly!) I would have bought the 14-50 (and had that one installed) as its seems more chargers are compatible with that outlet type, and it is featured at many RV parks with 220/240V service. (not that I had plans to haul around my plug-in ChargePoint equipment, but maybe for a road trip??)
If you want a mobile Level 2, there are way better options than a ChargePoint or a JuiceBox. You would need to be a sadist to take the JB on the road, the cables are ridiculously thick and heavy and the whole contraption would be relatively unwieldy to drag in & out of the car.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:13 AM

I have Nema 14-50 outlet installed in garage and upgraded 50amp circuit breaker downstairs panel. Total cost including permit was 309 dollars in NJ.
Got plugin Juicebox pro 40 evse purchased from Costco at 499. However jaguar with on board AC charger accepts only 7.4 Kwp hence it charges with only 32amp max with 18 to 20 miles per hr. For current model do not go over 32amp Evse rated charger. No use.