So high, then so low - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. The Teslatap worked like a charm with my existing Tesla plug in charger. With my 14-50 outlet, it was charging at approx 20 miles per hour. Between this and the model 3, I'm not looking forward to the look on my hubby's face when we get our next bill from Southern Ca Edison 😂
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:25 AM

How much do you pay per kWh?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:06 PM

NJ is ridiculous. PSE&G. 18Cents per kwh. 13 cents for supple plus 5 cents for delivery charges. Their Time of use is ridiculous also. DAYTIME 29 cents. Nighttime 11 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 PM

I have a NEMA 6-50 outlet that was the preferred choice by Audi and Porsche PHEV chargers. I had an Audi A3 e-tron. Now I'm using a generic Level 2 EVSE plugged into it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

U got me sciencegeek...I'm kwh ignorant even though I have a daily commute of 75 miles everyday. My hubby occasionally drive over 100 miles in a day to see clients. We are blessed to be able to simply pay the bill without pointing fingers at each other. LOL. His philosophy is what is the point of having an electric car if u can't quick charge and go whenever u want. I just found out SCE bills 19cents/kwh - 24cents/kwh - 42cents/kwh in those tiers. There will be more eye rolls and even pointing fingers at the end of this billing cycle.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:34 AM

When I had got my Model S 3 years ago, it came with a cable with a NEMA 14-50 plug at one end, and the Tesla plug on the other end. Plus, it had adaptors for J1772 and 110v outlets. Once you installed a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet, you could get a reasonable charge at home.

I agree that JLR can do better than what they provide: a 110v charging cable that would take a week to charge the vehicle. I took it out day 1 and am unlikely to ever use it. I ended up buying a MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 32 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-50P from Amazon, and that has worked well thus far.

I haven't purchased a TeslaTap yet. If you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home, you just need to buy something like the Mustart/Juicebox/Chargepoint etc cable. The only other use for a TeslaTap is at destination chargers.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavmisra View Post
When I had got my Model S 3 years ago, it came with a cable with a NEMA 14-50 plug at one end, and the Tesla plug on the other end. Plus, it had adaptors for J1772 and 110v outlets. Once you installed a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet, you could get a reasonable charge at home.

I agree that JLR can do better than what they provide: a 110v charging cable that would take a week to charge the vehicle. I took it out day 1 and am unlikely to ever use it. I ended up buying a MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 32 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-50P from Amazon, and that has worked well thus far.

I haven't purchased a TeslaTap yet. If you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home, you just need to buy something like the Mustart/Juicebox/Chargepoint etc cable. The only other use for a TeslaTap is at destination chargers.
I'm using the Mustart portable EVSE as well. Had a chance to take it with me this weekend on a longish drive to visit my brother in-law. Was able to use his 14-50 socket to charge overnight and didn't need to find a fast DC charger on the way home. I like that it is compact enough, even with the 25ft cable to fit easily in the Frunk. I had too much junk in the back to get to the rear cable storage, but I think it will fit there as well. Anyway it's a great option if you know of 14-50 options along the way and can plug in overnight.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
I'm using the Mustart portable EVSE as well. Had a chance to take it with me this weekend on a longish drive to visit my brother in-law. Was able to use his 14-50 socket to charge overnight and didn't need to find a fast DC charger on the way home. I like that it is compact enough, even with the 25ft cable to fit easily in the Frunk. I had too much junk in the back to get to the rear cable storage, but I think it will fit there as well. Anyway it's a great option if you know of 14-50 options along the way and can plug in overnight.
How common are 14-50 plugs? My dryer plug was a 14-30 so I had a 14-50 installed in my garage for my Juicebox. What do you typically find in an RV park?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
How common are 14-50 plugs? My dryer plug was a 14-30 so I had a 14-50 installed in my garage for my Juicebox. What do you typically find in an RV park?
14-30 does seem to be more prevalent and you can try an adapter. I haven't purchase the adapter plug or cable yet. I have found some 14-50 externals out at some hotels. If you use Plug Share, you can add NEMA 14-50 plugs to the search filters.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page