Car wobble? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Car wobble?

Hey Folks - new member to the forum here. I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks as I am considering a new I-Pace. I was lucky enough to have a dealer let me take one for an extended hour-long test drive. I told them I was concerned about the stated range and needed to see for myself with my normal driving habits.
I’m fairly satisfied with the range I saw. I really opened it up a number of times and ran with air conditioning and cooling seats active the majority of the time.
I noticed something strange that I was hoping current owners could address. At one point on the highway(it was fairly windy this weekend), the car body started to wobble or shimmy considerably. I can’t remember the last time I felt something like that in a car. Has anyone else seen this behavior? It only happened one time for about 10-15 seconds.
The other thing of note(for me) was the poor visibility due to the huge B pillars in conjunction with what I would consider small side view mirrors. Have you guys gotten used to that(or don’t really consider it an issue)? I tend to drive aggressively and part of that is being able to lane-change with confidence of my surroundings.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:23 AM

You may have experienced the lane keep function, where if you cross over a lane separator without signaling the steering wheel will vibrate.

Visibility is actually much better than it first seems. See this thread
https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/19...0-seconds.html

The blind spot monitor works very well in my experience.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 AM

I, too, thought the rear visibility would be an issue, but it hasn't been. Combination of rear view and side mirrors has it covered. Do wish for rear camera (while driving) to completely eliminate the issue, but alas, nothing yet even for 2020. Blind spot and especially the backup warning system do work well. The car is so quick and responsive that it really "begs" for aggressive driving, like a running back navigating a pack of overweight lineman. That responsiveness can be a double-edged sword however!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 PM

Fold down the rear seats when not in use, or remove the rear L/R headrests (super easy), and the blind spot issue is pretty much gone. Due to tighter and tighter safety regs, the cage structure of cars is getting more and more robust. But due to economy restrictions, a large dia brace weighs less than a small dia brace, so large is used to save weight.

Yeah, they probably had LKW lane keep warning system on. It has a steering shaker in it. It can be turned off. Feels like a 'rumble strip'. If your dash is set to show Drive Assist screen, you will see a big red line on the side that you are hitting.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:06 PM
MyA

Can’t it just be from getting in and out of ruts, or tracks left in place by heavy trucks running constantly in a specific lane (ornières in french.....)?

Happened to me on a highway.

MyA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 PM

I've been experiencing a steering wheel shimmy/vibration in a certain situation since I bought the car. It is the only unsteady driving situation I have experienced. It happens only during a right curve on the freeway at between 70 and 80 mph when running over a small bump or ridge in the road. It will start a vibration/resonance that will continue until the turn is either steepened or reduced, at which time it settles out immediately. It is a relatively high frequency resonance (probably 40-60 hz or so). The car remains fully under control, but it is a concerning shimmy. Initially, I also though it could be lane keep assist, but I have that turned off, and there is no indication on the dash when it happens. I have tried lane keep assist in other situations to see what it is like, and this is definitely a different issue. Also, it always happens at exactly the same place on my commute where the conditions are just right (curve to the right, bump in the pavement, 70+ mph) and I am always in the center of the lane. I have been considering taking it to the dealer to have a look, but I'm pessimistic that they will be able to find anything. I've been wondering if it is just my car or a generic I-Pace issue.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I can guarantee it wasn’t lane keeping assistance. It was turned off. And there was no wobble in the steering wheel. It was the body of the car. And I rode over the same strip of highway multiple times in the car to see if there was something on that section of road.

It sounds like everyone either gets used to the visibility or there are compensations that can help. I’m also coming from a 2-door coupe where the B pillar is much further back and so I have better visibility than most 4 doors due to that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-SHIN View Post
Hey Folks - new member to the forum here. I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks as I am considering a new I-Pace. I was lucky enough to have a dealer let me take one for an extended hour-long test drive. I told them I was concerned about the stated range and needed to see for myself with my normal driving habits.
I’m fairly satisfied with the range I saw. I really opened it up a number of times and ran with air conditioning and cooling seats active the majority of the time.
I noticed something strange that I was hoping current owners could address. At one point on the highway(it was fairly windy this weekend), the car body started to wobble or shimmy considerably. I can’t remember the last time I felt something like that in a car. Has anyone else seen this behavior? It only happened one time for about 10-15 seconds.
The other thing of note(for me) was the poor visibility due to the huge B pillars in conjunction with what I would consider small side view mirrors. Have you guys gotten used to that(or don’t really consider it an issue)? I tend to drive aggressively and part of that is being able to lane-change with confidence of my surroundings.
YES!!! Glad to see others are having the same issue. It goes away when you switch from Normal mode to Dynamic. There is an issue with the right front suspension when going around a constant right curve from 50-80MPH. It is unsettling to say the least. I tried to wiggle the steering wheel to see if the car would get loose under this condition and it will. super dangerous. Always remember to run in dynamic mode and problem solved. I imagine they will put out a patch for this since it seems like a suspension setting issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJeff View Post
I've been experiencing a steering wheel shimmy/vibration in a certain situation since I bought the car. It is the only unsteady driving situation I have experienced. It happens only during a right curve on the freeway at between 70 and 80 mph when running over a small bump or ridge in the road. It will start a vibration/resonance that will continue until the turn is either steepened or reduced, at which time it settles out immediately. It is a relatively high frequency resonance (probably 40-60 hz or so). The car remains fully under control, but it is a concerning shimmy. Initially, I also though it could be lane keep assist, but I have that turned off, and there is no indication on the dash when it happens. I have tried lane keep assist in other situations to see what it is like, and this is definitely a different issue. Also, it always happens at exactly the same place on my commute where the conditions are just right (curve to the right, bump in the pavement, 70+ mph) and I am always in the center of the lane. I have been considering taking it to the dealer to have a look, but I'm pessimistic that they will be able to find anything. I've been wondering if it is just my car or a generic I-Pace issue.
If you do take it in let us know what they say. You aren't the only one, and I would love to not have this one weird thing wrong with my car if it can be helped, and try dynamic mode, seems to solve my issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page