Insider knowledge... I will help where I can - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Insider knowledge... I will help where I can

Hello all

I worked on the X590 (i-PACE) programme from 2016-18 in Jaguar Land Rover. My responsibilities included making sure the dealer network had access to relevant tooling, training and workshop information for the new battery EV being introduced. Along the way I learned a few things about the car which may be of interest.

I know that these forums are full of conjecture and conflicting information so I will help answer questions where I can. The dealer network is often unhelpful as their word is taken as gospel by customers (quite rightly assuming that they know everything about the car) whereas they may not be fully informed.

For instance, I recently read that during 'live working' (lid off battery) there needs to be a technician whose sole job it is to hold an insulated hook in order to pull the operating technician out of trouble should he or she be incapacitated by the ~500v DC inside the battery.

This is true - for a limited amount of time. The tech with the hook needs to be on hand while the lid is removed from the battery, and while the battery is reduced to a 'safe' state - eg the bus bars are removed in sequence to reduce max voltage to 36v or thereabouts. Once this is done (maybe an hour's work) the tech with the hook can go off and do something more useful!

The i-PACE itself was an interesting project and certainly threw up some new challenges for the business, things you may not immediately think of like:

- how our Parts department manages the distribution and storage of £20,000 batteries that have a shelf life and ideally require periodical charging. The battery packs weigh around 600kg (1 ton?) and cannot be shipped via air freight and are made in Poland.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer. In the meantime, enjoy your lovely new cars... a pic of stacked empty battery packs attached for your enjoyment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_144712.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	2309  
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Guy

Thanks for joining! I'm sure you will be popular here!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Most of my questions would revolve around the software. How in the world did they let these cars ship with so many software bugs?
epirali and Jtdavi3 like this.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Great! Welcome! Maybe you have a thought on the shuddering issue described /videoed by gordondd in the "seized up" thread ...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Welcome! Thanks for confirming my service dealer story about the technician with the hook!
-Benjamin
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:18 PM

I'd love to read an essay about the JLR Pathfinder DoIP service system.
Do you HAVE to use a Panasonic Toughbook?
Which DoIP devices are suggested?
Which subscriptions do what?
What are the datalogging or PID display abilities?
Where to find a list of PIDs?

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:51 PM

Thank you genuinely for offering information!

Your post is kinda funny though! In the first paragraph, you say that you were responsible for training and providing information to the dealer network. In the 2nd paragraph, you say that the dealer network is not very well informed. So basically you're saying that you were not very good at your job
dtgsrq likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

In my opinion (not the opinion of JLR I should stress) the pressure to ship the car out to customers 'on time' caused issues in software not being fully tested or ready. This is not confined to i-PACE by the way, JLR is guilty of this quite a lot.

i-PACE was an interesting car for lots of reasons, but mainly because it was not a car that Marketing asked for. Normally, Marketing would identify a 'hole' in the market that is potentially profitable, give Engineering a set of specifications/dimensions/costs etc and Engineering would go away and develop a solution to fill that void.

In the case of i-PACE, it is a car that Legislation demanded - selling an electric vehicle enabled JLR to receive environmental credits which offset the sale of its conventional-fuel cars. These credits (I think) are awarded on a model-year basis, so if a 2019 model year electric vehicle is sold, JLR is allowed to sell more petrol (or diesel) cars. Given that there is an end-date after which a 2019 model year car becomes 2020, this gives an immovable deadline for JLR to ship cars. And lots of commercial pressure to meet this deadline.

Therefore the legislative pressure demanded an electric vehicle that Marketing didn't necessarily ask for, or know how to sell... make of this what you will.

Often dealers are left with the task to update software to latest level after the vehicles are shipped, as the vehicles are on the water for quite a while (6 weeks to USA) and the software is effectively 'free' to distribute (unlike physical parts).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Thank you genuinely for offering information!

Your post is kinda funny though! In the first paragraph, you say that you were responsible for training and providing information to the dealer network. In the 2nd paragraph, you say that the dealer network is not very well informed. So basically you're saying that you were not very good at your job
Good point... the dealer/manufacturer relationship is an interesting one, mainly because the dealers are entirely independent (commercially speaking) from the manufacturer. So the investment for training and tooling comes out of the dealer's pocket, at the behest of the manufacturer.

Imagine being a JLR dealer who is expecting to see maybe one or two i-PACEs in the course of a year. Would you want to invest thousands in tooling (which would sit largely idle) and send your valued technicans away to learn about a car they'd hardly ever see? This is just one of the problems we were up against.

I'd like to stress that the dealer network is *sometimes* not very well informed. They all vary as you probably know. Maybe I'd be better phrasing it something like: "The dealers are not always communicating the message(s) that the manufacturer would like" or "There is always a lag between a manufacturer identifying a problem (and solution), and the dealer learning and understanding about that fix".

Finally to be super-precise I wasn't responsible for the training, that was a different department, but we worked closely due to the nature of the programme (all new electric vehicle and high-voltage working).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I'd love to read an essay about the JLR Pathfinder DoIP service system.
Do you HAVE to use a Panasonic Toughbook?
Which DoIP devices are suggested?
Which subscriptions do what?
What are the datalogging or PID display abilities?
Where to find a list of PIDs?
Unfortunately I was mainly the mechanical aspect of servicing as opposed to software/fault diagnosis... however I do believe the Panasonic Toughbook was standard issue to JLR techs for fault-finding.

Most of the answers to your other questions will be available through the normal channels - ie if you are a registered dealer then you'll be able to obtain all of the diagnostic software required for i-PACE. (As a home mechanic myself I appreciate this is probably not what you want to hear!)
McRat and squishball like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page