Any regrets? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By McRat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Any regrets?

Hi, my first post, so be kind please. I’m looking at switching from a 2015 X5 (which I’ve loved owning) to an iPace, probably a First Edition. I’m in the UK and most journeys are typically <50 miles (200 miles almost never). I’m after thoughts both positive and negative from owners. The car would be parked on my drive, next to the garage, with charging via cable to standard domestic plug inside the garage (might pay for proper charge point later). I love the look of the car and the whole idea of a BEV, but I have some anxiety about making the switch. The X5 has been brilliant as a family car for the 4 of us (+dog). I’m not overly concerned about range, but will I be ok using my domestic plug for overnight charging? Can I fit 4 large suitcases in the back for holiday trips? Anyone felt like they made a mistake by making the switch to a BEV? Anything that’s surprised any owners in a negative way (I’m aware of infotainment issues for some)? I’ve been surprised by the number of 1 yr old cars that seem to have appeared on Autotrader and such like, so am wondering if it’s indicative of disappointed owners? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any and all replies.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 AM

First, I'll say I've only had the car for a few weeks, but LOVE it.

Infotainment issues for me are minor, but some have it worse.

Depending on the size of your suitcases, 4 would be a tight fit. We will not be using this car for any overnight trips with my family of 4 - we have a GLE for that. I went to the I-Pace from a Honda CR-V and the passenger cabin seems roomier (although the glass roof helps with this), but the trunk is much smaller. Keep that in mind.

It's a new car, with all the issues that come with that. Like I said, I've only had it less than a month and am going into the shop next week for a minor AC/climate control issue (whining fan belt), but I'd still buy it. Love it. Kids love it. Have people coming up to me frequently asking about it, checking it out, commenting how much cooler/nicer it looks than a Tesla. But if minor bugs would irritate you or if this would be your only vehicle for family trips I might wait...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtdavi3 View Post
First, I'll say I've only had the car for a few weeks, but LOVE it.

Infotainment issues for me are minor, but some have it worse.

Depending on the size of your suitcases, 4 would be a tight fit. We will not be using this car for any overnight trips with my family of 4 - we have a GLE for that. I went to the I-Pace from a Honda CR-V and the passenger cabin seems roomier (although the glass roof helps with this), but the trunk is much smaller. Keep that in mind.

It's a new car, with all the issues that come with that. Like I said, I've only had it less than a month and am going into the shop next week for a minor AC/climate control issue (whining fan belt), but I'd still buy it. Love it. Kids love it. Have people coming up to me frequently asking about it, checking it out, commenting how much cooler/nicer it looks than a Tesla. But if minor bugs would irritate you or if this would be your only vehicle for family trips I might wait...
Thank you so much for the reply. I’m not going to be too bothered about minor bugs tbh. I think the truth is that I’m already in love with this car, but want to ensure it’s my head ruling my heart, rather than the opposite. Do you mind me asking, how do you deal with the charging side of things, and are you in the UK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:33 AM

I'm not in the UK, I'm in the US. I bought a ChargePoint charger (the one Jag recommends although I don't know that it's any better than any of the others) and installed it in my garage prior to getting the car. I mostly do a short commute so I only need to charge once a week or so. If you're not doing a whole lot of daily driving then the basic charging cable might hold you over but keep in mind I think it takes about 48 hours or more to get from empty to full with that cable (about 10 hours with a level 2 charger like I have).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Welcome, Jtdavi3. To answer your question, no regrets at all! The I-Pace is awesome despite the infotainment problems that I believe will be slowly fixed as new software updates happen.

I too wanted a BEV and the I-Pace offered everything I was looking for. If you purchase the Jaguar you might seriously consider the level 2 charger as the stock charger is painfully slow and there are days when you travel further than expected or have less time to charge.

In the U.S. there's a public broadcasting show called Motor Week which recently reviewed BEVs from VW, Hyundai, Kia, Chevy and Nissan and the results only confirmed my decision to but the Jag.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:42 AM

With 230 vac house outlets in the UK, it your EVSE is 10 amps like the US, that should net >6 miles of range per hour of charging, or 60 summer miles added in 10 hrs overnight.

What amperage is the breaker on the circuit you want to use? If you don't know, there is a tool that will help. You plug it's 'wart' into the outlet, then use the wand to find it's breaker in the panel.

If it is the 20 amp breaker, you can use what amounts to a Level 2 charger. 230v x 16a. This will add about 3.2 kWh per hour of charging. Or 32 kWh in 10 hours. That's 60 miles in sub-freezing temperatures, and nearly 100 miles on city streets under 60 mph.

If it's 15 amp, you will use a 12a charger and will get 45 miles to 75 miles of added range in 10 hours of charging at home.
Jtdavi3 likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Sorry, Jtdavi3. I got my bearings crossed and addressed the wrong member.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sandman66 View Post
Hi, my first post, so be kind please. I’m looking at switching from a 2015 X5 (which I’ve loved owning) to an iPace, probably a First Edition. I’m in the UK and most journeys are typically <50 miles (200 miles almost never). I’m after thoughts both positive and negative from owners. The car would be parked on my drive, next to the garage, with charging via cable to standard domestic plug inside the garage (might pay for proper charge point later). I love the look of the car and the whole idea of a BEV, but I have some anxiety about making the switch. The X5 has been brilliant as a family car for the 4 of us (+dog). I’m not overly concerned about range, but will I be ok using my domestic plug for overnight charging? Can I fit 4 large suitcases in the back for holiday trips? Anyone felt like they made a mistake by making the switch to a BEV? Anything that’s surprised any owners in a negative way (I’m aware of infotainment issues for some)? I’ve been surprised by the number of 1 yr old cars that seem to have appeared on Autotrader and such like, so am wondering if it’s indicative of disappointed owners? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any and all replies.
I encourage you to go to the UK I-Pace Forum and/or the Facebook page so you get the most relevant information for your situation. Although you will find much the same information, there are unique things that would likely provide better answers.

Additionally, for what it’s worth, if your heart has already made the decision, this isn’t the place to find anyone that may talk some some sense into your head. It would be akin to walking into the local pub, slightly inebriated, and asking the patrons if they think you should get a pint of beer or a pint of warm milk...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sandman66 View Post
I encourage you to go to the UK I-Pace Forum and/or the Facebook page so you get the most relevant information for your situation. Although you will find much the same information, there are unique things that would likely provide better answers.

Additionally, for what it’s worth, if your heart has already made the decision, this isn’t the place to find anyone that may talk some some sense into your head. It would be akin to walking into the local pub, slightly inebriated, and asking the patrons if they think you should get a pint of beer or a pint of warm milk...
Ha ha, brilliant...I’m sure you are right!!

Thanks to all of you that have replied, it really is a great help!

I’m sure to be back with more questions!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post

Additionally, for what its worth, if your heart has already made the decision, this isnt the place to find anyone that may talk some some sense into your head. It would be akin to walking into the local pub, slightly inebriated, and asking the patrons if they think you should get a pint of beer or a pint of warm milk...
Like most 'for-profit' enthusiast boards, this board fights to be at the top of searches.
Sometimes if you search "UK I-Pace Forums" this site comes up before the UK site does, which is:

https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/

But essentially both sites (are there more?) are global, and there is a Facebook site too. I took a break from Facebook for the last several years.

Enthusiast web forums are easier to search, and more persistent. And are less of a security risk. Few if any Forums sell your private information or do data analytics on you to try and figure out who you are.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page