First EV - new owner in Charleston SC - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

First EV - new owner in Charleston SC

Today I agreed to terms with the dealer and plan on taking delivery of an HSE (white) on Tuesday. I'm very excited - couldn't believe what a thrill it was to drive. And I have been consuming reviews and test videos for the past week.

I love special-interest message boards (forums), definitely the best place to get accurate, thoughtful, and helpful information, so thanks for having me and I look forward to all the site has to offer.

I have never had an EV before, so this is all very new and exciting. In my current car (a 2014 BMW 640 gran coupe), I left my metro area twice in nearly four years - and both were trips of less than 125 miles. So I don't think I have any real concerns about range, charge, etc., but I've got a lot of learning to do!

Out of the gate, is there a consensus on best home-charter (level 2) for the IPace? The dealer recommended ChargePoint.

Thanks!
docsbc likes this.

Last edited by superchuck500; 04-28-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM

Hello and congrats on your first new EV.
JLR seems to be promoting the ChargePoint home unit.
That is the brand I installed and works well.
superchuck500 likes this.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post

Out of the gate, is there a consensus on best home-charter (level 2) for the IPace? The dealer recommended ChargePoint.

Thanks!
I doubt you will get a consensus about what is 'best' as they are all pretty similar and underneath the packaging all about the same. The 3 top brands are ChargePoint, JuiceBox and ClipperCreek, but there are many, many others that are just as good. If you like getting lost in data, ChargePoint and JuiceBox will give you plenty, with ChargePoint leading the way, especially if you plan on using ChargePoint public chargers. I bought the JuiceBox Pro, simply because it was on sale and the ChargePoint wasn't. It works fine, no complaints, but if I were to do it again I would save myself a few hundred dollars and buy a less expensive, more portable unit, such as a Mustart - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D5C86M...ing=UTF8&psc=1
epirali and superchuck500 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldev##44 View Post
Hello and congrats on your first new EV.
JLR seems to be promoting the ChargePoint home unit.
That is the brand I installed and works well.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Thanks - that grey/red combo looks great!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
I doubt you will get a consensus about what is 'best' as they are all pretty similar and underneath the packaging all about the same. The 3 top brands are ChargePoint, JuiceBox and ClipperCreek, but there are many, many others that are just as good. If you like getting lost in data, ChargePoint and JuiceBox will give you plenty, with ChargePoint leading the way, especially if you plan on using ChargePoint public chargers. I bought the JuiceBox Pro, simply because it was on sale and the ChargePoint wasn't. It works fine, no complaints, but if I were to do it again I would save myself a few hundred dollars and buy a less expensive, more portable unit, such as a Mustart - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D5C86M...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Great info - thanks
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:25 AM

I like my dumb as a brick Schneider 30 amp from 2011. If buying today it would be a Clipper Creek. I use two of these at least weekly.

If you want to geek out on data then as said above get the Juicebox or similar. Chargepoint is the official Jaguar partner.

For full speed charging you need 32 amp evse and a 40 amp supply. I-Pace will charge on lower rated units just fine but takes longer. If you have an available 30 amp supply I would not hesitate to get a 24 amp evse vs pulling a new circuit.
superchuck500 likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 AM

I am using the same BMW branded EVSE from my old car as there really isnt that much of a difference between the units from a power delivery point of view. Some of them have wifi enabled monitoring (which your app can do) or built in delayed charging (also in your app) along with a few other features.

The largest EVSE your car can handle is 32amp, so if people advertise 40amp or 80amp, dont waste your money as the onboard chargers max out their draw at 32amp. Teslas draw more as they have dual chargers on board as an option. My suggestion would be to get a dumb 32amp charger (as Time2Roll so eloquently puts it) which you can pick up for a couple hundred bucks and spend the extra making sure you have a circuit available that can handle the full load (you need a 40amp breaker on that circuit, otherwise it will trip out).

If your battery is empty, it will take over 12 hours to fully charge at 32amps. If you only install a 26amp EVSE, that could stretch to 18 hours or more. Based on your driving habits this may not be an issue, however once you realize how inexpensive it is to drive (generally less than $10 to drive 350 kms) you might decide to range a little farther away form home.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I am using the same BMW branded EVSE from my old car as there really isnt that much of a difference between the units from a power delivery point of view. Some of them have wifi enabled monitoring (which your app can do) or built in delayed charging (also in your app) along with a few other features.

The largest EVSE your car can handle is 32amp, so if people advertise 40amp or 80amp, dont waste your money as the onboard chargers max out their draw at 32amp. Teslas draw more as they have dual chargers on board as an option. My suggestion would be to get a dumb 32amp charger (as Time2Roll so eloquently puts it) which you can pick up for a couple hundred bucks and spend the extra making sure you have a circuit available that can handle the full load (you need a 40amp breaker on that circuit, otherwise it will trip out).

If your battery is empty, it will take over 12 hours to fully charge at 32amps. If you only install a 26amp EVSE, that could stretch to 18 hours or more. Based on your driving habits this may not be an issue, however once you realize how inexpensive it is to drive (generally less than $10 to drive 350 kms) you might decide to range a little farther away form home.
Adding to Timbo's post - You don't need to hard wire the install. Just put in a 240V type outlet based on the plug type for the EVSE that you purchase. This way you can move it when you move or even take in on a trip in case you have difficulty finding a charger. I personally like the idea of Chargepoint and Juicebox for all the detail they provide, but I went with a simple Mustart EVSE and somehow am living fine without crunching the numbers.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Adding to Timbo's post - You don't need to hard wire the install. Just put in a 240V type outlet based on the plug type for the EVSE that you purchase. This way you can move it when you move or even take in on a trip in case you have difficulty finding a charger. I personally like the idea of Chargepoint and Juicebox for all the detail they provide, but I went with a simple Mustart EVSE and somehow am living fine without crunching the numbers.
Thanks - I have the Chargepoint coming tomorrow from Amazon, I just went with the Jaguar recommendation so if there's any issues, I can at least tell them I only did what they said.

I wanted to ask someone in a warm, sunny climate (and I think Central FL qualifies!) what you thought about the glass roof in the sun all day. On the KBB youtube review, the reviewer said that he thought the glass roof might turn the car into a greenhouse in warm sunny climates. I plan on using preconditioning to confront heat issues (and all cars bake in the relentless summer sun in the Southeast) but I was just curious if you had any observations. It seems like the tint goes pretty dark when the sun is in full effect.

Thx!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks - I have the Chargepoint coming tomorrow from Amazon, I just went with the Jaguar recommendation so if there's any issues, I can at least tell them I only did what they said.

I wanted to ask someone in a warm, sunny climate (and I think Central FL qualifies!) what you thought about the glass roof in the sun all day. On the KBB youtube review, the reviewer said that he thought the glass roof might turn the car into a greenhouse in warm sunny climates. I plan on using preconditioning to confront heat issues (and all cars bake in the relentless summer sun in the Southeast) but I was just curious if you had any observations. It seems like the tint goes pretty dark when the sun is in full effect.

Thx!
Glass roof is not a problem. I've had it in low 90s and frequent upper 80s here in Central Florida. I'm not getting heat via the roof. However the front windshield and side windows do let in more heat than needed. There are several of us in warmer climates looking at the side front windows at minimum for some type of ceramic film coating. Not sure what could or should be done about the front windshield, though having a sun shade for when parked outside would help with the initial heat. Again, really feeling anything different than any other car with a solid roof. I've been happy so far. Check back in July and August.
McRat likes this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page