I'm going into the dealership tomorrow and may very well walk out with a signed deal, but before that I wanted to ask some questions of current owners to help me with some things I just havent found in my research and browsing this site. The sales guy at the dealer seems to only know about half of what he should for this car, which is frustrating because I work in software and feel like I know more than him about how the infotainment system works (or is supposed to work).
1) Are there any models that come with heated steering wheel? I'm not seeing this listed anywhere.
2) From what I can see, you need to get an HSE trim to get heated/ventilated seats, does that seem right? Kind of a bummer for me because all things considered, we really only need an SE trim...but not having heated seats is a big loss since every car we've had the last 10 years has them. I don't want to spend $80k and lose features...that's the reason I didn't get a Tesla...it was missing so many features that I was used to (can anyone say Apple Carplay?) but spending several thousand more just to get the seat heating I want is hurting my brain, but I'm just hoping I can get a better deal by buying one of the 15 that have been sitting at my local dealer for 2 months rather than a custom order.
3) How are people feeling about the self-parallel parking feature in real world usage? We have this in our Chevy Volt and use it ALL the time where we live. I'm glad the I-PACE has it but haven't had a chance to test it...will plan to do on my test drive.
4) How is getting service with Jaguar? I know this can vary a bit depending on dealership, but do they give your loaner cars if you need to bring it in for a problem?
5) Does the car have good front sensors when parking? Like letting you know if/when you're going to hit the car in front of you or your garage wall, etc?
6) Can you do remote start/preconditioning from the key fob (if within line of sight of the vehicle)? Or do you need to do it through the app? On my Volt, I can just hit a preconditioning button on the key fob from inside my house, and my Volt will start warming up in the garage. Love that feature. Wondering how it works with IPACE
7) Does Jaguar have a similar roadside assistance service like GM's OnStar? I'm thinking of things like flat tire or if you run out of juice. If so, how do you call it? Through the car or the app or phone #?
8) How is the app functionality and reliability? What can you or do you use the app for?
9) Can the app identify the car's location at any given point in time?
10) How is the rear cross traffic alert working for people in real world use? We use this ALL the time in our Volt, as pulling out of our driveway can be tough and hearing a beep from the car, along with a direction arrow of which way it's coming from, is awesome and I've come to rely on it. How does this work in the IPACE?
11) Has anyone had to replace tires or brakes yet? I'm wondering how much they cost to replace since I assume they're not covered under maintenance
12) I know it's winter for most people, but I'm concerned about the expansive glass roof and what that will do to the cabin on blistering hot days (I live in California). I'm not sure what type of coating it has to block UV rays or blazing sunlight. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
13) Anyone have the forward collision warning go off for them, or hard brake in a real world situation? Does it work well? I'd be concerned about false positive alert warnings, as sometimes our Volt thinks there's an imminent situation and gives the collision beep warning (but in reality it's not a dangerous situation)...I think the sensors are too sensitive, and wouldn't be surprised if the Jag had similar issues given their issues with electronic components and reliability.
14) For people who bought (not leased), how are you feeling about resale value?
15) Any other questions I should be asking the sales rep when I go to test drive and look at the vehicle?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!
billfan, I'm an FE owner for 2 months and 2000 miles. I don't know what you're coming from, but the car is great, you won't be disappointed. A few have had issues, but they are in the great minority. I'll try to answer your questions...
1. You can do an online build to verify, but I think the cold weather pack with heated steering wheel is available on all trim levels? If not inclined to do so, have your sales guy do it.
2. Again, check online build. I custom-ordered, but then it came with wrong color headliner, so I bailed and the very next day bought my FE off the showroom floor of a different dealer (from someone who didn't take delivery of their special order due to illness). Now that some discounts are showing up, you should take full advantage!
3. Haven't used. I don't think I've parallel parked in this decade.
4. My second dealer is fantastic. They've won Pride of Jaguar award like 10 years in a row! I got a loaner I-Pace for a few days while they paint the area behind the license plate for me and update my software. They even drive to my house to pick it up, and I'm an hour away.
5. Yes, the sensors are as good as any I've had in Mercedes GL or BMW sedans. In addition to sound (beeps) there is a radar-like visual representation of objects, and also the 360 camera (if you select that option).
6. No preconditioning with keyfob, that is a InControl app feature.
7. You should know the I-Pace comes not only with roadside assistance, but all maintenance for the first 5 years paid. A lot less maintenance on EVs, but good to know I don't have to budget for it.
8. Mixed reviews on the app. It's good for locating the vehicle (I went to the state fair last weekend and it helped me find my car in a sea of vehicles), as well as checking its status (battery charge, locked, windows up, etc.) You can precondition and also stop and start charging with it.
9. Yes, absolutely.
10. The rear cross traffic alert was one of the pleasant surprises, I had low expectations but now I RELY on it daily - senses cars before I can even see them!
11. If you drive reasonably, Elon Must was the first to say you shouldn't EVER have to replace your brakes, since regen does the majority of braking. That said, way too early to even think about it. You can check tire prices based on the wheel size you choose. (I have the 22's, style 5069)
12. I'm in Florida and we've had a HOT last few weeks, but I've never felt like the glass roof was an issue. Elsewhere in this forum someone did find a clip-on, Jaguar-branded roof shade, so it does exist if desired.
13. I've had my warning go off a couple times, usually late lane changes with car turning or stopped directly ahead of me. Never engaged the brakes, though. So far, similar to my experiences with Mercedes system.
14. Seeing discounts and 0% financing show up just 2 months after delivery is disappointing. No one on this forum has found a reasonable lease option - all way overpriced. I'd just take JLR up on its 0% financing!
15. The 2 major features to feel out are (i) low and high "regen" braking and (ii) creep on or off. Also, if you are considering the cold weather package TEST DRIVE AT NIGHT the heated windshield. I, among others, have found it dangerously distorting at night (see other posts on the topic). Also, ask if the tire pressures were set to "light load" (all 4 tires at 37 psi). Doing so *dramatically* improves the ride over the 'normal' setting (for 4 passengers and cargo) which specifies psi of 45 front and 50 in rear - rides a LOT rougher under those pressures! Don't be afraid to take some hard corners... it drives like its on rails. Have fun!