Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
Excited and Need Feedback
So after a false start with an I Pace that made it off the boat but not to the dealer my new custom ordered one will supposedly be ready for delivery in the next few days. So I am about to pull the trigger. I have been reading and posting here with much interest, think I have a good handle on the ups and downs of the car from existing owners.
I have had a few electric cars, so this won't be new to me. I am well aware of all the quirks and strengths of the electric cars/batteries/temperature/range etc. Loved the Leaf, really like the Bolt, HATED the i3 (the ride/handling), like the Tesla Roadster (as I would love a toy, its not really car), and absolutely worship the i8.
So having said all this I feel a twinge of hesitation and I am asking for feedback/help. Yes I know its strange to ask a bunch of strangers but hey why not. Everyone I asked (friends) to "talk me out of getting the car" as a test didn't even try. Here is my kind of thought process.
I want to get the car because:
- Never had a Jaguar, want to have one, and an electric one suits me great,
- I really want to support Jaguar's really excellent jump into the electric car market and be an "ambassador." Trust me when I say there are many people I know who now drive various electric cars because I championed and drove them,
- I want to support Jaguars commitment to going all electric,
- I want to replace my Audi (winter car) and my Bolt (electric daily car) with one car (garage space, really want an AWD snow capable electric car and Tesla S/X is just not up to my standards in ride/drive and interior),
- The Audi SUV is boring and too big, I prefer a small sporty car,
- I want to learn and understand the choices Jaguar made in the interesting and adaptive suspension,
- From everything I have seen it is a great sport and capable fun car to drive.
I don't want to get the car because:
- I was surprised by the slight lag between input and response on the car. This was in the 50-100 ms range, but it is a control system lag and there is no reason for it. I can feel it and I wonder if I'll get used to it,
- I am just horrified by the laggy infotainment in such a price range car. The displays look great and I honestly don't mind that they not the most intuitive but they look elegant and the car has physical controls like it should. But waiting half a second for screen to repaint gives me pause about the decision making process,
- I am not concerned about buggy initial software, but use of Windows embedded seems like such a poor choice and prone to never ending trouble.
Sorry for the long list, but any thoughts/feedback/kicks in any direction is appreciated.
Signed: checkbook in hand...