ChargePoint and Jaguar breach of privacy - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation ChargePoint and Jaguar breach of privacy

In Canada and when my IPace needed a charge, it prompts me to go to a ChargePoint location... I know my area only has 2 public EV stations (at an IKEA - thanks IKEA) and a Mall. However my IPace showed over 20 locations... upon review I recognized them as residential homes. This is a massive privacy and data breach that MUST be dealt with swiftly. Ive heard that ChargePoint says you must opt-out of sharing data including location and its a double edged sword... ChargePoint collects data from the charging station that they in turn can use and share with electric utilities and for debugging - and that may be ok with owners (ok with me) but sharing my home location publicly is NOT OK.

Please comment your thoughts and if this is only a Canada issue.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8veLife View Post
In Canada and when my IPace needed a charge, it prompts me to go to a ChargePoint location... I know my area only has 2 public EV stations (at an IKEA - thanks IKEA) and a Mall. However my IPace showed over 20 locations... upon review I recognized them as residential homes. This is a massive privacy and data breach that MUST be dealt with swiftly. I’ve heard that ChargePoint says you must opt-out of sharing data including location and it’s a double edged sword... ChargePoint collects data from the charging station that they in turn can use and share with electric utilities and for debugging - and that may be ok with owners (ok with me) but sharing my home location publicly is NOT OK.

Normally those are people who have volunteered via PlugShare.com to help EV owners if they are in a bind. This is less common in the USA.

https://recargo.freshdesk.com/suppor...-home-charger-

Many EV companies get their data from PlugShare and ChargePoint is one of them.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 02-02-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:05 PM

My ChargePoint app clearly states the home charger is only visible to me. (USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 PM

I probably should volunteer, except we have 3 EVs that need plugs and we are surrounded by L2/L3 CCS chargers.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagpa View Post
My ChargePoint app clearly states the home charger is only visible to me. (USA)
Correct. Only if you go through the steps to list your home as an EV charging station will it appear on the map.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 PM

To clarify, Plugshare is fairly old in EV years. There was a time when there were very few places available to charge your EV, and EVs typically only had a 80 mile range. There were very few owners compared to today, so they tried to help each other.

So people volunteered their homes to help fellow EV travelers. I imagine that in Canada this would have been far more critical than in the US, but you will still find US volunteers.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Correct. Only if you go through the steps to list your home as an EV charging station will it appear on the map.
Yes exactly I opted not to share because my charger is inside the garage and although the cord is long enough we may not always be home and we are in a gated community so access would be a problem. The privacy policy was very clear when I setup the charger in the app.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguidizi View Post
Yes exactly I opted not to share because my charger is inside the garage and although the cord is long enough we may not always be home and we are in a gated community so access would be a problem. The privacy policy was very clear when I setup the charger in the app.
It's not that important anymore, at least in urban/suburban areas. There are a number of CCS and L2 chargers in Temecula now. That was not always the case.
Seems there are about 20 home chargers in your general area.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8veLife View Post
In Canada and when my IPace needed a charge, it prompts me to go to a ChargePoint location... I know my area only has 2 public EV stations (at an IKEA - thanks IKEA) and a Mall. However my IPace showed over 20 locations... upon review I recognized them as residential homes. This is a massive privacy and data breach that MUST be dealt with swiftly. Ive heard that ChargePoint says you must opt-out of sharing data including location and its a double edged sword... ChargePoint collects data from the charging station that they in turn can use and share with electric utilities and for debugging - and that may be ok with owners (ok with me) but sharing my home location publicly is NOT OK.

When I setup my chargepoint home charge I recall a question in the app asking if I wanted to publicly share my chargers location and I set it to no. I just double checked and my home charger doesn't show available on plugshare or chargepoint.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:00 PM

I like my vintage 2011 Schneider charger with no connectivity. One more app on the phone? No thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page