Howdy from Southern California - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Howdy from Southern California

Howdy! I have an I-pace on order with a dealership in Southern California. Was able to reconfigure one of their orders they already had in process. Was built on 11/30/18 and as of now, no info on the ship it is coming over on. The salesperson said that their info is slower than normal from JLR, and that it was put into circulation on 12/5. That’s the last they know. I am coming from a 2018 F-Pace that will go to my husband when the I-Pace finally comes home. I was able to watch the ship carrying the F-Pace from port to port and even switch to the Panama Canal cameras and watch it go through the locks! I know. Obsessive! Yep. Don’t shoot me, I ordered the 25T (4 cylinder) for gas mileage. Seriously fast enough and am over the embarrassment of ordering the “smaller” engine. I have had a lot of the same issues with the F-Pace I am reading that the I-Pace has. Dark screen (took it in twice for that-and fixed). On occasion I still get that dreaded dark screen, but have realized, as has been mentioned on this forum, that I need to slow down the start sequence. Start, hit the Ok button on the steering wheel for 2 messages that come up, THEN reverse. If I am not patient, I might pay the price!! I have also had the airbag icon come on several times (taken in twice for that). I am getting the icon again periodically now and will go in for service again. Wondering if that is the seat sensor??? I could look on my work orders to find out for sure. Another common issue that remains….I had to wait 4 weeks once my car came into port! I was told it was held in port purgatory for EPA approval (new engine at the time). There are things I will miss on the I-Pace that my F-Pace has……opening the panoramic roof, CD player, and sitting height. Will NOT miss sitting in line for gas!! Win!!!
Trying to figure out whether to get the ChargePoint or JuiceBox EV Charger. Liked the price (<$500) some paid for the CP, but they aren’t offering that anymore. Any thoughts on which one?
Seriously jealous of those who already have their car! I came VERY close to buying the one that was featured in a video on a thread here (from Carlsbad dealer). Since I drive my very young grandkids around, I just can’t have the oyster interior, but that car is beyond elegant in person. I was torn, but the black interior wins out (again, grandkids). My order specifics: Farallon black, HUD, fog lights, air ionizer, HSE, ebony interior with oyster headliner (to break up the black a bit), heated steering wheel, and black window surrounds. Looking forward to joining the owners club!! Delivery Date 1/25/19, Planned Handover 2/1/19
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:59 PM

Welcome. You are probably best off with the ChargePoint Level 2 EVSE that Jaguar suggests, however there are options.
I used JuiceBoxes which are a different brand, and I have a Clipper Creek and a Bosch as well.

One interesting choice is the Tesla EVSE + TeslaTap adapter. This will allow you to charge at Tesla Destination chargers (not Superchargers, the ones they have at hotels).
I bought the TeslaTap adapter but haven't tested it. IIRC, NerdUno is the one who has detailed this setup.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:01 PM

BTW - If you have a licensed contractor do the install in Calif, there are rebates from the state right now. Sadly, if you do the work yourself, you are not worthy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysis View Post
Howdy! I have an I-pace on order with a dealership in Southern California. Was able to reconfigure one of their orders they already had in process. Was built on 11/30/18 and as of now, no info on the ship it is coming over on. The salesperson said that their info is slower than normal from JLR, and that it was put into circulation on 12/5. That’s the last they know. I am coming from a 2018 F-Pace that will go to my husband when the I-Pace finally comes home. I was able to watch the ship carrying the F-Pace from port to port and even switch to the Panama Canal cameras and watch it go through the locks! I know. Obsessive! Yep. Don’t shoot me, I ordered the 25T (4 cylinder) for gas mileage. Seriously fast enough and am over the embarrassment of ordering the “smaller” engine. I have had a lot of the same issues with the F-Pace I am reading that the I-Pace has. Dark screen (took it in twice for that-and fixed). On occasion I still get that dreaded dark screen, but have realized, as has been mentioned on this forum, that I need to slow down the start sequence. Start, hit the Ok button on the steering wheel for 2 messages that come up, THEN reverse. If I am not patient, I might pay the price!! I have also had the airbag icon come on several times (taken in twice for that). I am getting the icon again periodically now and will go in for service again. Wondering if that is the seat sensor??? I could look on my work orders to find out for sure. Another common issue that remains….I had to wait 4 weeks once my car came into port! I was told it was held in port purgatory for EPA approval (new engine at the time). There are things I will miss on the I-Pace that my F-Pace has……opening the panoramic roof, CD player, and sitting height. Will NOT miss sitting in line for gas!! Win!!!
Trying to figure out whether to get the ChargePoint or JuiceBox EV Charger. Liked the price (<$500) some paid for the CP, but they aren’t offering that anymore. Any thoughts on which one?
Seriously jealous of those who already have their car! I came VERY close to buying the one that was featured in a video on a thread here (from Carlsbad dealer). Since I drive my very young grandkids around, I just can’t have the oyster interior, but that car is beyond elegant in person. I was torn, but the black interior wins out (again, grandkids). My order specifics: Farallon black, HUD, fog lights, air ionizer, HSE, ebony interior with oyster headliner (to break up the black a bit), heated steering wheel, and black window surrounds. Looking forward to joining the owners club!! Delivery Date 1/25/19, Planned Handover 2/1/19
I bought the Juicebox as it was nearly $100 cheaper than the ChargePoint on Amazon. I haven't had any issues.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 AM

Juicebox, Chargepoint, Clipper Creek, Schneider, Leviton etc are all good in their basic form. It is just a safety relay to connect power to the car. What really sets some apart is communication, monitoring, capturing data, and controlling the available charge. That is if you even need or want those features.

BTW I picked mine up last night. Was about 10 days early compared to the original time line.
keijidosha likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome as well as the Charger Info. I do have an electrician lined up, so that is good intel. I read somewhere on this forum that the ChargePoint was 20% off until (I believe) the 23rd, today! Going to pull the plug and purchase it. I have been following the info on the Tesla adapter and pretty much figure that will be in my future too.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:13 PM

Will the Juicebox (or any charger) allow us to make up for the lack of capacity currently "working" in the I-Pace? I want to be able to tell it go to 80% and favor certain off peak hours to get there, but get there by X-o-clock tomorrow - preferably from my phone.

Anything do that, yet?

Barring that, I'd at least like to say Start at ______ and end at ______ and I can estimate the % SOC increase from those hours using a rough 7% an hour number.

Last edited by WattAJag; 12-23-2018 at 10:15 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysis View Post
btw - if you like the lighter interior, my kids are 9, 8, 5 & 3 years old, living in the land of melting, muddy snow & the oyster interior is holding up just fine. My last 3 cars were all black & I just needed to lighten up & I am glad I did.
fedorachef likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattAJag View Post
Will the Juicebox (or any charger) allow us to make up for the lack of capacity currently "working" in the I-Pace? I want to be able to tell it go to 80% and favor certain off peak hours to get there, but get there by X-o-clock tomorrow - preferably from my phone.

Anything do that, yet?

Barring that, I'd at least like to say Start at ______ and end at ______ and I can estimate the % SOC increase from those hours using a rough 7% an hour number.

I am very unfamiliar with all of this as this is my first EV and I do not have off-peak rates, so what time the car charges makes no difference to me. However, I do know the JuiceBox allows you to set a schedule and a minimal charge (SPC) kWh, but what I have gathered from other posts regarding this, is the car seems to be doing something funky to prevent it from working correctly. I recall someone stating you can get the JB to override the car setting by setting it up as a Model 3 vs a Jaguar - not sure exactly what that does though.

I am curious as to why you would want to restrict the charging to any particular SOC? Why not just plug it it regardless of the SOC and charge to 100%?

Thanks
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattAJag View Post

Anything do that, yet?

I'll know this week. I got a new JuiceBox Pro for Christmas so Dad Can Open Something on Christmas.

There is already a 14-50 outlet in my garage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page