Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

I-Pace Test Drive

15K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Pinkward 
#1 ·
Well I finally got to test drive an I-pace. Luckily, it was a First Edition which is the model I’ve ordered. I was a bit put off when they delayed my delivery until December, but driving it put any doubts I was having to bed! Wow wow wow! This car is amazing. I truly loved it. Acceleration was mind blowing. The raw numbers just don’t do it justice. Really pins you back in your seat and just takes your breath away. Cornering is incredible. I started off wimping out because I couldn’t believe a big car could corner like that but quickly gained confidence. It drives like a much smaller car.

Interior finish was superb, and I couldn’t see any flaws in the panel gaps. The one I drove had the 22” wheels and it looked amazing. So I had to amend my order to include those wheels. They look spectacular. The car really suits them. The one I drove was black, and it looked stunning but I’m sticking with my Corris grey order. All told, it really settled my mind. I have chosen the right car. I just can’t wait for December now!!

#5 ·
Acceleration was mind blowing. The raw numbers just don’t do it justice. Really pins you back in your seat and just takes your breath away. Cornering is incredible. I started off wimping out because I couldn’t believe a big car could corner like that but quickly gained confidence.
If you haven't had a test drive in a Tesla I recommend that you do. I'm not wanting you to buy one, but I think the comparison would be interesting :) and Tesla Sales won't be giving you the hard sell that dealer-franchises do - although having a reason why you would not be buying "yet" might shorten the conversation ... The Jag is mid 4S 0-60 I think? whereas the Model-S is high 2S and launch is a proper roller-coaster type feel (different money for the top-end Model-S and the Jag of course, so not a fair comparison other than "just having done it" :) )

I reckon that all these "Sports Electric Salons" are going to be similarly astonishing to ICE drivers (of the PetrolHead flavour), and probably worth having a comparison point (now that there is more than one to choose from). I think the Tesla "wallows" when pushed (and yet it gets round corners faster than it feels to me that it will be comfortable with [low centre of gravity]), bur my comparison-point is different as I come from smaller hatch - RS4 and the like - and my in-the-garage toy is a Lotus-7 kit thingie with 300 BPH Rover V8 ... which isn't anything like driving an EV either! albeit also a low 3Sec 0-60

#8 ·
I feel you are ok balanced in your posts, but I still feel that you believe/hope Tesla is better than I-Pace? I have had test drives in both and they are both good cars. I don't yet own an I-Pace, and might even cancel it because of delay, so I don't feel biased the one way or another. Tesla might be quicker, but 1,5 second 0-60 mph is hardly a deciding difference in this segment? The Tesla is maybe more "techy", but do you think the Tesla is more comfortable than the I-Pace and with more exclusive interior? Why do you care if people buy a Tesla or an I-Pace? "Better" is subjective from person to person. I know you like to write, but I don't want a big discussion. :wink2:

#6 ·
Hi, newly signed up, but I have been monitoring the threads for a couple of months. Just wanted to alert that Jaguar dealers in Carlsbad, CA and San Diego, CA have the first editions in for test drives for just a few days, I think until Sept 5th. I test drove it today and it is as nice as the reviews say, very quiet on the inside and having been in Teslas, the interior of the IPace is much nicer. And quick, the salesman let me test the acceleration and the car really pulls off the line, next thing I am looking down and having to slow down. Anyway, best you call the dealers to schedule an appt as they were busy today in Carlsbad.

#19 ·
Acceleration was mind blowing. The raw numbers just don’t do it justice. Really pins you back in your seat and just takes your breath away. Cornering is incredible. I started off wimping out because I couldn’t believe a big car could corner like that but quickly gained confidence.
If you haven't had a test drive in a Tesla I recommend that you do. I'm not wanting you to buy one, but I think the comparison would be interesting [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] and Tesla Sales won't be giving you the hard sell that dealer-franchises do - although having a reason why you would not be buying "yet" might shorten the conversation ... The Jag is mid 4S 0-60 I think? whereas the Model-S is high 2S and launch is a proper roller-coaster type feel (different money for the top-end Model-S and the Jag of course, so not a fair comparison other than "just having done it" [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

I reckon that all these "Sports Electric Salons" are going to be similarly astonishing to ICE drivers (of the PetrolHead flavour), and probably worth having a comparison point (now that there is more than one to choose from). I think the Tesla "wallows" when pushed (and yet it gets round corners faster than it feels to me that it will be comfortable with [low centre of gravity]), bur my comparison-point is different as I come from smaller hatch - RS4 and the like - and my in-the-garage toy is a Lotus-7 kit thingie with 300 BPH Rover V8 ... which isn't anything like driving an EV either! albeit also a low 3Sec 0-60
Hi. Yes, I’ve driven Teslas. For me personally, I prefer the Jag. Tesla has some advantages. They seem to get better efficiency out of the batteries, but I’m hoping to see Jag improve in that area. Early Teslas suffered there too until they gained experience. For me, I prefer the Jag interior. I found it a more luxurious environment. I’m a gadget lover so I do love the tech-centric approach of Tesla, but I just felt happier sitting in the Jag.

I also found the Jag to be more responsive and “sharper” in terms of cornering and steering response. The Tesla accelerated quicker but it wasn’t like the Jag was slow.

But even if I preferred the Tesla, I live in the West of Scotland. My nearest Tesla dealer is over 100 miles away (and is the only one in Scotland by the way) and that’s just not practical. My nearest Jag dealer is 3 miles and there are another 3 (possibly more) within an hour.

I love what Tesla has done. Without them I doubt we would be seeing cars like the I-Pace at all. But the right car for me is the Jag. I think it has way better looks than the upcoming Audi and Mercedes offerings and I even prefer it to the X (which I was seriously considering prior to the Jag launch). It’s plenty fast enough and it was extremely comfortable. It also has plenty of tech toys and gadgets. I think it would be a sad world if everyone’s taste was identical. We’d all drive the same cars and wear the same clothes. I chose the Jag. It was close and it would have been even closer if Tesla had a better dealer network. But even then I think I’d have picked the Jag.

#25 · (Edited)
Hi, Maarten from Belgium here.

I already did 2 testdrives. One with my wife. just to get to know the car a little bit. I drove around one hour. And Yesterday I did a second one for a longer period of time (2 hours). It was the first edition fully loaded off course. The car drives great for a 2.1 ton car. Great steering, fast acceleration off course. Comfort is perfect for long drives. For me it would replace a nissan Leaf :smile2: . I know a totally different car. With the I pace I can go on a holiday and I can skip the car renting... I am a car freak. I already owned 11 cars in my 21 years of driving. I also own 2 BMW E30 cars (weekend cruiser if the weather is nice). For me the ipace is maybe the perfect car. The wife wants an SUV (all wife's do..) . And I want a driver's car. And with 2 kids we need the space to go on a holiday.
I have to say Tesla was also an option. But I can not wait for the Model 3 and the model S is more expensive here (lease trough the firm). And for me the model S is a model that has been driving on the roads for 6 years. If I take on a lease of 5 years I want to have the newest car available. The model S, even if the design ages wel, it wil be dated in 2 years...

Never drove a jaguar before. But when I firs saw the ipace concept 2 years ago. I was sold. It was one of my dream cars... Perfect blend of SUV, hatchback like and sporty...

Audi etron or the Mercedes are too boring (a longer and lower Q5 or a lower and longer GLC) . No thank you..

consumpion of the ipace is the only draw back for me. I would have hoped a little bit less. But hey at 24.5 on the highway (my test result yesterday), it would perfectly suit my trips on holiday... (audi and mercedes will have even more consumption: audi 400km wltp with a 95kwh battery???)

For me it will be my next car. Just not sure about the colour...

#26 ·
I got my test drive today, in London, Ontario, in cold and rain and sleet! Almost immediately confirmed the decision I made in August to order one. Great ride, great handling and eerily quiet. Even with the cold (around freezing) the range was quite impressive, with 365 kms showing at the start.

After playing with it or an hour or so my only regret is that the sales guy couldn't commit to a delivery date other than to say it will likely be later than January. So back to the BMW 650 for the winter....

#30 ·
I found the the Tesla vs IPace discussion interesting. I was initially going to buy a Tesla Model X, but when I found out about the IPace after doing some research I waited. Boy did I make the right decision. Immediately after my test drive I bought the car.

Driving the Tesla, I had this lingering feeling that something was just not right (for me). Now I know what it is. The Tesla has no soul of a car. Almost doesn't feel like you are driving a car and you do not get that "one with the road" feeling at all while driving and cornering.

The moment I drove the IPACE, I knew it was an entirely different animal. The car not only has a soul, but truly the soul of a cat, yes a Jaguar I guess. Now mind you I have never driven a Jaguar before of any type, but this car grips the road and you feel that terrific sport car feel of when you are one with the road.

Unfortunately that is something that all the Tesla's seem to lack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.